Talks for Growing Christians
The Lord Sends His Disciples on Short-Term Missions
Lesson Number 24
- God will not force anyone to become a believer.
- The Lord Jesus did not practice or preach the prosperity gospel.
- Let's aim to travel light.
- The buddy system works well in ministry.
- Why were the disciples given power to cast out demons and heal sicknesses?
- What were the disciple missionaries to take? What were they not to take?
- What were they to do when they were rejected?
- With what kind of oil were the people anointed?
- What is the "name and claim" type of Christianity?
- What should we seek first?
- Why were the disciples sent out two by two?
- To confirm the message of the gospel.
- See Mark 6:8-9. In a word, "travel lightly."
- Shake off the dust from their feet, showing separation. Jews were to be separate from ungodly Gentiles, but here they were to separate from unbelieving Jews.
- Olive oil was used for anointing and for medicinal purposes. Recall the story of the good Samaritan, who put oil on the wounds of the man who was beaten.
- It is the type of ungospel preached by some, whereby if you are a Christian and not wealthy, something is amiss. This is unbiblical. Christ Himself set the example, when He had nowhere to lay His head. He instructed the disciples to travel lightly, not taking excess baggage. Paul rebuked the Corinthians for practicing prosperity. Read 1 Corinthians 4.
- The kingdom of God, knowing that the Lord will meet our needs (Matthew 6:33). We tend to gather too much, and the more we have, the more it consumes our time and our focus, detracting from our fullest service for Christ.
- As a team, they could confirm the word and give mutual support and encouragement. Also, it was good for accountability.
- Do you have a desire to belong to the "name and claim" branch of Christianity? If so, review the answer to question #5, and commit all that you have to Christ.
- Do you have a partner in your ministry? Discuss the advantages.
- Review the responsibility of the disciple as a missionary. Are you measuring up to your responsibility? Does your empowerment come from the Lord?
- "Jesus called the twelve to Himself, and began to send them out, and gave them power...so they went out and preached that people should repent." (Mark 6:7, 12)