Talks for Growing Christians
Our Lord's Power Over the Demonic Realm
Lesson Number 4
- Demons can inhabit religious places.
- Demons are orthodox in their belief.
- Demons must submit to the authority of Christ.
- We can speak with authority.
- Let's not be surprised if healing is painful.
- Why were the listeners astonished when Jesus' spoke?
- Can demons inhabit religious places?
- A supernatural display of power is always of God. T/F?
- Demons are orthodox in their beliefs. T/F?
- Why did the Lord silence the demons? Do demons have to submit to the authority of Christ?
- Does belief alone save someone?
- Can we speak with authority by God's word?
- Our Lord taught with authority, with the word of God, as opposed to the teaching of the scribes, who would quote rabbinic opinions.
- Yes. The man in this account was not in a bar, but in a synagogue. It can happen today. Satan infiltrates the church. Demons deceive and slip into the midst of God's people. See 2 Corinthians 11:14 and 1 Timothy 4:1.
- It might be Satanic, rather than of God. See 1 John 4:1.
- Yes. They knew who Jesus was (Mark 1:24) and that He is God. They have no problem believing that God is Creator or that He exists.
- He did not want people coming to Him because of demonic testimony. Yes, demons must submit to the authority of Christ. He spoke but a word, and the demons obeyed.
- No. The demons believe and tremble, but that doesn't save them. See James 2:19.
- Yes. The Lord didn't quote other's opinions. He quoted God's word. We don't have to quote other people, but we can speak with authority from the word of God.
- Recall a time when you were healed physically, and think of the accompanying hurt. Was it worth it?
- Think of someone you know who is hurting physically. How can you help?
- Recall a time when you were healed spiritually, and the hurt involved. Try to help someone you know who is hurting spiritually.
- "They were astonished at Jesus' teaching, for He taught them as one having authority..." (Mark 1:22)