Talks for Growing Christians
The Institution of the Lord's Supper
Lesson Number 60
- The predetermined plan of God does not eliminate the moral responsibility of man.
- Unbelievers will some day wish they had never been born.
- Is your house available for the Lord's use?
- What did the Passover Feast commemorate?
- Why would it have been easy for the disciples to spot a man carrying a pitcher of water?
- What did the Lord mean when He spoke of the one dipping into the bowl with Him?
- Were there many organized steps in the celebration of the Passover meal? Which steps did the Lord take in His last Passover meal?
- When did the Lord end the Passover meal?
- What two things were emphasized in the Passover meal?
- Where did the Lord and His disciples go after the meal?
- The exodus of the Jews out of Egypt during the Passover. A lamb was sacrificed, which is a spiritual picture of the great sacrifice of the Lamb of God.
- In those days, a woman would have been carrying a pitcher of water, not a man.
- People did not use silverware then, as we do today, but they would take pieces of bread and dip them into bowls or dishes containing juices and other preparations.
- Yes, there were a number of steps. One step was the breaking and passing of the unleavened bread, and it was at this point that the Lord Jesus said, "Take, eat, this is My body." Then, there was the step of taking of the cup of thanksgiving. In the Passover meal, there were four steps of taking the cup, the third one was known as the cup of thanksgiving. It was likely at this point that Jesus said, "This is My blood of the new covenant, which is shed for many."
- After He said, "I will no longer drink of the vine until I drink it again with you in the kingdom of God."
- The cup of consummation, which awaits the Lord's return to this earth when He will set up His kingdom, and the Passover meal, to be superseded by the Lord's Supper.
- To the Mount of Olives, the Garden of Gethsemane
- Judas was held accountable for his actions, even if it was in the pre- determined will of God. It is not easy to understand how the sovereignty of God and the responsibility of man fit together, but man is accountable for his actions. Have you ever felt that you were not responsible for your actions? Have you ever excused yourself on these grounds?
- How do you feel when you hear that unbelievers will someday wish that they had never been born? Does this make you sense a greater responsibility to share the gospel?
- The owner of the house offered his large upper room, and he furnished it and made it ready for the Lord's Passover meal. Is your house available for the Lord's use?
- "As they were eating, Jesus took bread, blessed and broke it, and gave it to them and said, 'Take, eat; this is My body." Then He took the cup, and when He had given thanks He gave it to them, and they all drank from it. And He said to them, 'This is my blood of the new covenant, which is shed for many." (Mark 14:22-24)