Talks for Growing Christians
The Lord's View Concerning Divorce
Lesson Number 41
- The Bible does not condone divorce.
- God designed marriage to be heterosexual, monogamous and permanent.
- Your marriage might be better if you leave your father and mother.
- Be willing to let God change your mind about your spouse.
- On what issue did the Pharisees test Jesus? How did they try to trap Him? Were all the Pharisees of like mind concerning this issue?
- How did the Lord answer them?
- Under whose jurisdiction was the territory of Perea? How was he involved in the issue?
- What is marriage supposed to reflect, according to Scripture?
- List three aspects of a God-designed marriage.
- Marriage counselors frequently note that there is a particular barrier to reconciliation. What is this barrier? What can happen when the barrier is dropped?
- Divorce. If Jesus had come down hard on divorce, it could incur the wrath of Herod. On the other hand, if He went light on the subject of divorce, He would lose the support of the common people who were His followers, and were more conservative on this matter. It seemed to be a "Catch-22" situation. The Pharisees themselves were divided on this issue.
- The Lord answered them by going back to the creation of marriage, as God intended.
- Herod Antipas. John the Baptist had denounced Herod's divorce and adulterous remarriage to Herodius. Herod ordered the beheading of John the Baptist at the request of Herodius and Salome.
- The relationship between Christ and His bride, the church. See Ephesians 5.
- It is to be a) heterosexual, b) monogamous, and c) permanent.
- To be willing to let God change your mind about your spouse. Miracles can happen.
- Be honest in stating your view on divorce. Does it agreee with the biblical view? If your view differs from the biblical view, trace it back to its origin and justification in your mind.
- If you are married, does your marriage reflect the relationship of Christ to His church? Read Ephesians 5.
- If you have never thanked the Lord for not divorcing you because of your unfaithfulness to Him, do so now.
- "From the beginning of the creation, God made them male and female. For this reason a man shall leave his father and mother and be joined to his wife, and the two shall become one flesh, so then they are no longer two, but one flesh. Therefore, what God has joined together, let not man separate." (Mark 10:6-9)