Talks for Growing Christians
The Disciples’ Preaching Mission; The Feeding of the 5,000
Lesson Number 24
- There are divine principles for preaching the gospel.
- There are divine principles for ministering to many.
- Don’t pass the point of no return.
- Let’s use our interruptions as opportunities.
- In Matthew’s account of this event, we learn that the Lord told the apostles to limit their ministry to the Jews only. Why would this be?
- Who is the gospel of God’s grace available to now?
- List the four divine principles for preaching the gospel, as taught in this passage.
- What is significant about the Feeding of the 5,000 in the gospel account?
- What miracle occurred here in addition to the miracle of the Feeding of the 5,000?
- Because at this point in our Lord’s ministry the earthly kingdom of the Messiah that had been predicted in the Old Testament prophecies was being offered to Israel.
- Because the king and His kingdom were rejected by Israel, the gospel of God’s grace now goes out to the whole world. This was commanded by the Lord in His great commission in Matthew 28:19-20.
- 1) Travel light
2) Stay put
3) Don’t force-feed
4) Report back
- It is the only miracle (besides the Resurrection) recorded in all four gospels.
- Not only was there abundant food to feed over 5,000 people, there were 12 basketfuls leftover when everyone had eaten their fill!
- Review and apply the divine principles for preaching the gospel.
- The Feeding of the 5,000 shows four divine principles for ministering to a large number of people. Review and discuss these principles:
- “He sent them to preach the kingdom of God and to heal the sick.” Luke 9:2
- “So they all ate and were filled, and twelve baskets of the leftover fragments were taken up by them.” Luke 9:17