Talks for Growing Christians
A Bleeding Woman is Healed and a Young Girl is Raised to Life
Lesson Number 23
- The touch of faith results in great peace.
- The truth of Christ results in new life.
- Let’s testify and be taught.
- What is significant about these two miracles in the Scripture record?
- What did Jairus probably know about Jesus’ reputation?
- Why did the woman want to touch the fringe on Jesus’ cloak? Was this a superstitious act?
- How is the raising of Jairus’ daughter an illustration of salvation?
- How is the raising of Jairus’ daughter a picture of the spiritual rebirth of Israel in the last days?
- They are always recorded together.
- Jairus was an official of the synagogue on the west side of the Sea of Galilee, probably in Capernaum. He certainly had heard of the healing of the son of the Roman centurion who was stationed in Capernaum (Luke 7) and he probably saw the healing of the man with the withered hand in the synagogue (Luke 6).
- The fringe was special on the garment of a Jewish rabbi or any Jew who was following the Law (see Numbers 15:37-40). The woman did not reach out in superstition, but in true faith.
- Just as Jairus’ daughter was raised to new life, we are raised to new life when we believe on Christ’s sacrifice for us. Ephesians 2:1, “And you He made alive who were dead in trespasses and sins.
- Jairus, the ruler of the synagogue, and his daughter who had died picture Israel under Judaism – that is, without hope and dead to the promises of God and Christ. But in a coming day, Israel will turn back to the Lord in faith and receive the Messiah whom they rejected. As a result, Israel will be given a new heart and new life as they respond to the truth of Christ.
- The touch of faith results in great peace. Notice it is not, “The touch of faith results in great healing.” Discuss the damaging effects of the teaching that those with enough faith will be healed from any sickness.
- Read Ezekiel 36:26. Why is it so important to emphasize the future restoration of Israel?
- Remember the two essentials for the balanced Christian life illustrated in these miracles: testify and be taught!
- “Now when the woman saw that she was not hidden, she came trembling; and falling down before Him, she declared to Him in the presence of all the people the reason she had touched Him and how she was healed immediately.” Luke 8:47
- “Then her spirit returned, and she arose immediately. And He commanded that she be given something to eat.” Luke 8:55