Talks for Growing Christians
The Parables of the Sower and the Lamp
Lesson Number 21
- The parable of the sower emphasizes receiving the Word.
- The parable of the lamp emphasizes passing on the Word.
- Let’s become members of the inner circle!
- If you will not see, then you cannot see.
- How was the ministry of our Lord financed?
- What is the main focus in the parable of the sower?
- What happened to the seed that fell on hard ground? What is the spiritual picture?
- What happened to the seed that fell on rocky ground? What is the spiritual picture?
- What happened to the seed that fell among the thorns? What is the spiritual picture?
- Does the parable of the lamp address the issue of salvation?
- The Lord and His disciples moved from one city and village to another, preaching and teaching about the kingdom of God. The ministry was supported by free-will contributions and volunteers, such as Mary Magdalene and Joanna the wife of Herod’s steward. These women were part of the large group of disciples that followed the Lord.
- The main focus of the parable here is not salvation, but how the Word of God is received by the human heart.
- The seed that fell on the hard ground was not received. In fact, the birds took it away. In the same way, Satan takes the Word of God away from those who have a hard heart and are not open to the things of God.
- The rocky ground at first showed signs of life, but the test of time proved in the parable that the Word was not received into the heart.
- The seed that fell among the thorns was choked out by the thorns as soon as it began to grow. In the same way, the thorns of worries, riches, and pleasures of this life keep the Word from begin received by many human hearts.
- No, this parable addresses how we listen to the Word and pass it on as a light shining in a dark room.
- Many people who have difficulty interpreting this parable start with the misconception that it addresses salvation and the possibility of losing salvation. Instead the focus of the parable is how the Word of God is received by human hearts. Review the types of soil and human hearts. Which one are you?
- As it would have been foolish and unreasonable to place an oil lamp under a bed, so it is foolish for believers to hide the light that they have received from the Word. We should pass it on. What is the consequence if we neglect to pass on the Word?
- Are you a member of the inner circle? Not just a believer, but one who listens, hears, and does the Word of God?
- “But the ones that fell on the good ground are those who, having heard the word with a noble and good heart, keep it and bear fruit with patience.” Luke 8:15
- “My mother and My brothers are these who hear the word of God and do it.” Luke 8:21