Talks for Growing Christians
The Lord Begins His Great Galilean Ministry
Lesson Number 10
- Most believers do not know Scripture the way Jesus did.
- Most unbelievers do not like God when they understand what Jesus said.
- Don’t worry, Jesus may be rejected, but never removed.
- Invite a guest speaker for a bigger crowd.
- How much time passed between the Temptations of Christ and this event in His hometown of Nazareth?
- Why did the Lord sit down after He finished reading?
- How did Jesus know the Scripture so well?
- Why did the Lord stop reading mid-sentence in Isaiah 61:2?
- What point was Jesus making by referring to the ministries of Elijah and Elisha?
- About a year, during which time our Lord was ministering in Jerusalem and Judea.
- In that culture, a teacher would stand to read from Scripture, then sit down to teach about the passage.
- As a Man, He came to know Scripture by diligent study and learning.
- The first half of the verse “the acceptable year of the Lord,” was being fulfilled at that time. But the second half, “the day of vengeance of our God,” would not be until the Second Coming of Christ when He returns in judgment.
- The implication was that if the people rejected what Jesus said, God in His grace would turn to the Gentiles.
- Jesus had a thorough knowledge of Scripture because of His diligent study. This is the only way for you to know God’s Word as well, through studying and learning. This Bible study on Luke is a good start. Where will you go from here?
- Secular people today are fine with Jesus as long as He is presented as a good man and moral teacher. But when He is taught as the One and only Son of God and the only way of salvation, unbelievers can become very angry and defensive. Discuss “tolerance” in our culture today, and why people refuse to be “tolerant” of Christianity.
- The Lord allowed Himself to be rejected by the people of Nazareth, but they could not get rid of Him. Don’t worry when your colleagues, neighbors, or fellow students reject your testimony concerning Christ. They cannot get rid of Jesus and the truth.
- “The Spirit of the LORD is upon Me, Because He has anointed Me To preach the gospel to the poor; He has sent Me to heal the brokenhearted, To proclaim liberty to the captives And recovery of sight to the blind, To set at liberty those who are oppressed; To proclaim the acceptable year of the LORD.” Luke 4:18-19, quoted from Isaiah 61:1-2
- “Today this Scripture is fulfilled in your hearing.” Luke 4:21