Talks for Growing Christians
The Presentation of the Lord Jesus at the Temple
Lesson Number 5
- Godly Simeon recognized the truth that Jesus was the Savior for all peoples.
- Godly Anna shared the truth that Jesus was the Redeemer of Jerusalem.
- You’re never too old to serve.
- Why did Mary and Joseph travel to Jerusalem forty days after the birth of Jesus?
- Who was Simeon?
- What special promise was given to Simeon?
- Review the four parts of Simeon’s prophecy.
- Who was Anna?
- 1. For Mary to offer the purification sacrifice after childbirth, according to the Law in Leviticus 12.
2. To present Jesus as a baby to the Lord God because He was the firstborn child, according to the law in Exodus 13 all firstborns belonged to the Lord.
- Simeon was a godly Jewish man, who was part of the godly remnant in Israel.
- The Holy Spirit had revealed to Simeon that he would not die before he had seen the Messiah. One day the Lord led him into the Temple just as Mary and Joseph arrived to present Jesus as a baby to the Lord.
- 1. The proud and righteous ones who would not believe that Jesus was the Messiah would fall. The humble and repentant believers would rise and be blessed.
2. Jesus was a sign from God because He would show God’s moral standards by His life and teaching. A sword would pierce Mary’s soul as she would witness the horrible injustice of her Son being crucified.
3. The thoughts of many hearts would be revealed because of Jesus.
- Anna was another member of the godly remnant of Jews in Israel. Despite her old age, she lived within the Temple complex and served the Lord with prayers and fasting.
- Discuss the two insights Simeon had into God’s salvation:
1) God’s salvation will come through the Person of the Lord Jesus Christ – not through human good works.
2) God’s salvation is for all peoples – not just Jews.
- Discuss what it means that the godly remnant was looking for the redemption of Jerusalem. Refer to Isaiah 40:1-2 and 52:9-10.
- How old are you? Anna was between 84 and 100 years old, yet she served the Lord with fasting and prayer. If you feel that you no longer have the energy that you once had to actively serve the Lord, you can always serve by praying.
- “For my eyes have seen Your salvation.” Luke 2:30
- “Behold, this Child is destined for the fall and rising of many in Israel, and for a sign which will be spoken against (yes, a sword will pierce through your own soul also), that the thoughts of many hearts may be revealed.” Luke 2:34-35