Talks for Growing Christians
The Importance of Being Ready for the Lord’s Return
Lesson Number 35
- There will be differences of punishment in Hell.
- There are divisions of families on earth.
- Get right with God before it is too late!
- Don’t use Luke 12:59 as a proof-text for purgatory.
- Review the aspect of a First Century wedding which illustrates the importance of being ready for the Lord’s return at any time.
- What was the Lord’s main point with this parable?
- What happened to the faithful and sensible servants in the next section?
- What happened to the unfaithful servants?
- What had to happen before God’s fire of judgment could take place (verses 49-50)?
- After the wedding feast, the groom would return home with his bride. He expected his servants to be watching and waiting for him – even if he didn’t arrive until late at night or in the wee hours of the morning.
- All believers should be watching, waiting, and ready for His return. His return will be sudden and unexpected – like a groom returning home with his bride, or a thief arriving unannounced.
- They were rewarded and given responsibilities. So there will be responsibilities in the Millennial Kingdom that our Lord will set up when He returns to this earth.
- These professing servants prove by their actions that they are unbelievers. They will be consigned to a place with the rest of the unbelievers – namely, Hell.
- The Lord Himself would undergo a baptism of judgment at the cross –the judgment of God against our sins.
- Just as there will be difference of reward in heaven, so there will be difference of punishment in hell. The basis for punishment will be how much knowledge and light a person had. This is an important apologetic point to know if you come upon unbelievers who say it is unfair for Adolph Hitler and their nice (but unbelieving) little old neighbor lady to both be in Hell.
- People who say that Jesus was just a good man who came to preach peace on earth do not understand the reality of Luke 12:51. Although it is sad when families are divided because of Christ, it should not be surprising. What should our attitude be towards families suffering in this way?
- God is not only a God of love, but He is a God of justice and He must deal with the sin of unbelief. Get right with God before it is too late!
- “Therefore you also be ready, for the Son of Man is coming at an hour you do not expect.” Luke 12:40
- “For everyone to whom much is given, from him much will be required; and to whom much has been committed, of him they will ask the more.” Luke 12:48