Talks for Growing Christians
Teaching about Hypocrisy and the Courage to Testify
Lesson Number 33
- Don’t be a hypocrite, because everything will be revealed.
- Don’t be afraid, because everything will be provided.
- Don’t be a coward, because everything will be reviewed.
- Don’t use Luke 12:11-12 as your excuse for not being prepared.
- Give one possible reason the crowd which followed Jesus had grown so large.
- Who was the Lord addressing in this passage?
- Many people have a paralyzing fear of death. What important truth about death is taught in verses 4-5?
- Most likely the word had spread that the Lord had denounced the self righteous Scribes and Pharisees in no uncertain terms with scathing rebukes. The common people would have loved it, just as we do today when self righteous hypocrites are publicly denounced.
- He was specifically addressing His disciples, although the multitude would have heard, and many in the mixed crowd were followers of the Lord to one degree or another.
- Death is as far as the opposition can chase you, after that you are solely in God’s hands. The implication of verse 5 is that the opposition will be cast into hell.
- “For there is nothing covered that will not be revealed, nor hidden that will not be known” Luke 12:2. Is this a comforting truth to you, or a terrifying fact? Your answer to this may depend upon your personal level of integrity.
- Luke 12:8-9 have application to both salvation and discipleship. In the matter of discipleship, we can boldly confess the Lord with our testimony or we can deny the Lord in our words and deeds. Our lives as disciples will be reviewed before the judgment seat of Christ. Read and discuss Romans 14:10 and 2 Corinthians 5:10.
- Review this excellent note from the Living Application Bible:
“We disown Jesus when we
1) hope no one will think we are Christians
2) decide not to speak up for what is right
3) are silent about our relationship with God
4) blend into society
5) accept our culture’s non-Christian values.
By contrast we acknowledge him when we
1) live moral, upright, Christ-honoring lives
2) look for opportunities to share our faith with others
3) help others in need
4) take a stand for justice
5) love others
6) acknowledge our loyalty to Christ
7) use our lives and resources to carry out his desires rather than our own.”
- Not one sparrow is forgotten by God, and you are of much more value to Him than sparrows. Take a few moments today and listen to Him remind you of how valuable you are to Him.
- “For there is nothing covered that will not be revealed, nor hidden that will not be known.” Luke 12:2
- “But the very hairs of your head are all numbered. Do not fear therefore; you are of more value than many sparrows.” Luke 12:7