Talks for Growing Christians
Laws About Animals for Food or Sacrifice
Lesson Number 16
- Under the Law, the slaughter of animals for sacrificing was strictly regulated.
- Under the Law, the slaughter of animals for eating was strictly regulated.
- Don’t confuse what Jesus said in John 6 with Leviticus 17?
- Give two simple outlines for the book of Leviticus.
- Who was the audience of the strict regulations with regards to animal slaughter in Leviticus 17?
- What was the concern about goat demons in verse 7?
- What were the children of Israel required to do when they killed an animal for food?
- Way of Sacrifice- Chapters 1-10
Walk of Separation- Chapters 11-27
- or -
Public Worship of the Children of Israel- Chapters 1-16
Private Worship of the Children of Israel- Chapters 17-27
- This is not just for the priests or leaders of the people, but for any and every individual Israelite.
- In Egypt a number of the Children of Israel has picked up the idolatrous practice of sacrificing to idols which were carved or molded in the shape of goats. Even today the goat is a demonic symbol in satanic worship.
- They were required to drain the blood and bury it before the meat was cooked and eaten.
- According to Leviticus 17, there was to be no sacrificing at all except at the Tabernacle. Even proper sacrifices to the Lord were no longer to be conducted in any location – only at the Tabernacle. Discuss the implications of this regulation. Why was this safeguard put in place?
- Discuss the principle “The life of the flesh is in the blood.”
- The Lord’s comment saying you must eat His flesh and drink His blood would have been shocking to His Jewish audience. In John 6, Christ is talking about salvation – partaking of Christ so that He becomes your life. This is the most important decision you will ever make.
- “For the life of the flesh is in the blood, and I have given it to you upon the altar to make atonement for your souls; for it is the blood that makes atonement for the soul.” Leviticus 17:11
- “Then Jesus said to them, “Most assuredly, I say to you, unless you eat the flesh of the Son of Man and drink His blood, you have no life in you.” John 6:53