Talks for Growing Christians
Deborah and Barak's Victory Song
Lesson Number 7
- God keeps records of the faithful.
- God keeps records of the unfaithful.
- Don't forget to sing hymns.
- The Lord raised up Deborah to serve Israel. In what capacities did she serve?
- Who mustered the troops of Israel together to fight the oppressive army of the Canaanites?
- What is the style of the song in this chapter? It's more than just a victory song, it is a song of ___________________________________.
- What was the condition in Israel under the oppression of the Canaanites?
- Describe the "natural" conditions in this battle that led to the defeat of the Canaanites.
- As prophetess, judge, and motivator
- Barak, the commander of the army of Israel.
- Hebrew poetry. Thanksgiving and praise to the Lord, savoring God's victory over His enemy.
- The highways were deserted and village life ceased
- The earth trembled, the heavens poured out water, mountains gushed forth, stars fought, torrents of water swept the enemy away - events of nature coordinated by God Himself to defeat the Canaanites.
- Review the list of the faithful in Judges 5:13-15, 18. God kept a record of all these who showed faith and courage, going into battle against overwhelming odds. See Malachi 3:16. Who is in God's book of remembrance? Are you? See also Philippians 4:3 and Revelation 21:27.
- Review the list of the unfaithful in Judges 5:15-17, 23. Why were they cursed by the Lord? They ignored their responsibility to the Lord; they were concerned but not committed; they were interested but not enlisted; they remained at a distance; they wanted to stay in their place of security and comfort. The Israelites had many excuses, and were too content with the status quo. Do you make excuses? Are you too content to step out and serve the Lord?
- Does your heart sing spontaneously when you pause to consider the heavens and the earth? Do you break into song (and even tears) when the angels praise Him for the soul of a repentant sinner? See Colossians 3:16.
- "When the people willingly offer themselves, bless the Lord!" Judges 5:2
- "Lord, when You marched the earth trembled..." Judges 5:4
- "Recount the righteous acts of the Lord..." Judges 5:11
- "Those who feared the Lord spoke one to another, and the Lord listened and heard them; a book of remembrance was written before Him for those who fear the Lord and who meditate on His name. 'They shall be Mine,' says the Lord, 'On the day that I make them My jewels." Malachi 3:16-17
- "Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly in all wisdom, teaching and admonishing one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing with grace in your heart to the Lord." Colossians 3:16