Talks for Growing Christians
Ehud and Shamgar
Lesson Number 5
- The flesh not held in check is not a pleasant picture.
- Cutting off the flesh is not a pleasant picture.
- God can use you regardless of your differences.
- God can use you regardless of your background.
- How many judges were there in Israel during the time of the judges?
- Name the two judges listed in this section of the Book of Judges.
- Name the enemy in this sin cycle. How did they oppress Israel? How did they oppress them?
- Who was the judge designated by Israel to head up the delegation to bring tribute to the oppressor? How did this judge view this assignment?
- What happened with the judge after he killed the king?
- Anywhere between twelve and fifteen, depending on who is counted. If Barak is counted along with Deborah, if Abimelech (an evil ruler) is counted, and if you don't count Samuel, then there are 15.
Remember that some of the judges overlapped in time, and judged in different parts of the land.
- Ehud and Shamgar
- Moab. Eighteen years. Requiring them to pay tribute in gold or silver to Moab.
- Ehud. He saw this occasion as an opportunity to overthrow the ungodly power of King Eglon of Moab.
- After Ehud killed King Eglon, he escaped to the mountains of Ephraim and rallied the troops of Israel to defeat the Moabites.
- Even as Israel was commanded to drive out the enemy in order to enjoy the blessings of the land, so we have to drive out the enemy in order to enjoy our spiritual blessings in Christ. Satan is our enemy and he uses the world, the flesh, and even demonic forces to keep us defeated and to keep us from enjoying the spiritual blessings God has given us. King Eglon was a picture of the flesh not held in check. Do you have a problem in keeping your flesh checked? Do you have a problem in losing ground that has already been conquered?
- How do you cut off the flesh? By applying the word of God, the two-edged sword of the Scripture to your life. See Hebrews 4:12. Are you cutting off the flesh?
- How are you different from other believers? Remember, God can use these differences for His glory.
- What is your spiritual heritage? Even if you were not raised in a Christian home, you have been given a spiritual parent by the Lord. Whatever your background, God can use you. Make full use of Christian mentors and role models in your life. Then be one.
- "The children of Israel again did evil in the sight of the Lord. So the Lord strengthened the king of Moab against them...But when they cried out to the Lord, He raised up a deliverer...When Moab was subdued under the hand of Israel, the land had rest for eighy years." Judges 3:12, 15, 30
- "The word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two-edged sword..." Hebrews 4:12