Talks for Growing Christians
Judah Settles its Tribal Land
Lesson Number 1
- Godly beginnings do not guarantee godly endings.
- Godly individuals do not guarantee godly communities.
- Don't think your hardened, unbelieving neighbor doesn't know when God is speaking.
- Don't be reluctant to ask God for specific blessings.
- The Book of Judges covers the history of the nation of Israel from the time of the _______________ to the time of the _______________. It covers a period of about _____ years.
- After the conquest, the land was divided up among the twelve tribes of Israel. What was the responsibility given by God to each tribe?
- What was the result of Israel's failure in meeting her given responsibility?
- Who was Adoni-Bezek? What happened to him?
- Refer to Joshua 14:6-15. How was this promise to Caleb fulfilled in the Judges account?
- conquest, kings, 350
- To drive out the enemy that still existed in its allotted territory.
- Israel's enemies, both inside and outside the land were able to control Israel, rather than Israel controlling them.
- Adoni-Bezek was a great warrior and an enemy of Israel, who at one time cut off the thumbs and big toes of seventy kings. In turn, Judah cut off his thumbs and big toes. Why? It made a man helpless in military action, for he couldn't handle a weapon and he couldn't run.
- Judges 1:10 records the death of three giants living in Hebron. Caleb at last possessed his inheritance.
- Compare the first and last verses of the Book of Judges. The time of the judges began in a godly way, but it didn't end that way. The problem? They failed to ask God for guidance.
a. Review the beginnings of our country. What is the situation today?
b. Is there a parallel in some of our churches?
c. Recall the time when you received Christ. Have you been faithful in asking God for His guidance in your life?
- Two individuals, Caleb and Othniel, were faithful in obedience and they were conquerors. In turn, they affected others, regardless of the ungodliness of the nation. Are you, by your faithfulness, obedience and courage positively affecting others?
- Adoni-Bezek was a hardened man, but he knew that God was speaking. Can you identify some people within your spheres of influence who are like this? Are you tuned in to them so you can speak of Christ in their time of need?
- Achsah asked her father, Caleb, for a specific blessing. She specifically asked for springs of water. Recall times when you asked your heavenly Father for a specific blessing. Are you asking for spiritual springs of water? Remember, God loves to bless His children to make them more productive and fruitful in the land of spiritual blessing.
- "...the children of Israel asked the Lord...
...everyone did what was right in his own eyes." Judges 1:1; 21:25
- "...the Lord delivered the enemy into their hand..." Judges 1:4
- "Achsah said to Caleb, 'Give me a blessing...give me springs of water." Judges 1:15