Talks for Growing Christians
Samson and Delilah; Samson is Victorious in His Death
Lesson Number 24
- Loss of separation results in loss of spiritual power.
- Loss of separation results in loss of spiritual success.
- Don't toy with temptation.
- Give two examples from this section of Scripture that illustrate Samson's great physical strength.
- Who was Delilah, and how did she betray Samson?
- Review the spiritual pictures of the following:
a. the land of Canaan
b. the Philistines
c. the Jordan River
- What is the key to blessing and power in this story?
- What is God's way of entrance into the land?
- The Philistines thought they had Samson trapped inside the city of Gaza, but Samson escaped by breaking down the massive gate of the city. Samson was blinded, but his final act was to call on God for strength to push down the pillars which supported the temple.
- She was a Philistine prostitute who seduced Samson into giving away the secret of his strength.
- a. the land of spiritual blessing and power for the Christian
b. one of Satan's devices for keeping God's people defeated; they represent the worldly, fleshly or carnal principles at work in the land
c. a picture of identifying with Christ in His death, burial and resurrection
d. the attractive, alluring and seductive appeals of the world.
- Separation from the ways of the world and separation unto God.
- To follow the ark through the Jordan River (dead to self, alive unto God)
- When Samson broke his Nazarite vow of separation to God, he lost his strength. Satan wants to seduce us into losing our separation unto the Lord. He wants to keep us defeated in the land of spiritual blessing, and when he wins, we lose out on blessing and power. Do you find your walk of faith being tested? Turn your back on the temptations of the world and ask the Lord for help in keeping close to Him.
- Read Joshua 1:7-8. Samson was strong and courageous, but he did not observe to do all the will of God. Like Samson, you can have a lot going for you, but if you are not a separated Christian, you will never be a spiritually successful Christian. Separate yourself from the values and attitudes of this world system and be separated to the Lord.
- Don't toy with temptation. Avoid dabbling in sin, lest you fall.
- "The enemy said, 'Entice him...that we may overpower him." Judges 16:5
- "She pestered him daily with her words and pressed him, so that his soul was vexed to death." Judges 16:16
- "Lord God, remember me, I pray! Strengthen me, I pray." Judges 16:28
- "Flee sexual immorality. Your body is the temple of the Holy Spirit." 1 Corinthians 6:18
- "Flee youthful lusts; but pursue righteousness...with those who call on the Lord out of a pure heart." 2 Timothy 2:22