Talks for Growing Christians
The Consequences of the Gibeonite Deception
Lesson Number 16
- Serious covenants made before God must be honored.
- Foolish covenants made before God may have long-term consequences.
- We don't have to be deceived.
- Was Israel defeated by the Gibeonites?
- Why did God command the Israelites to destroy the pagan nations from the land?
- Why didn't the children of Israel attack the cities allied with the Gibeonites?
- Why did the Israeli congregation complain about this?
- What role did the Gibeonites have with Israel?
- Why couldn't Israel just admit their mistake, break the covenant and do away with it?
- How did the covenant with the Gibeonites affect King Saul many years later?
- No, not defeated, but deceived.
- Because He did not want His people contaminated by the immoral and idolatrous pagan nations. See Deuteronomy 7:1-6. Israel was a holy people, chosen, a special treasure of the Lord.
- Because of their peace treaty and their oath with the Gibeonites, which included these people. See Joshua 9:17-18.
- Because of the treaty, they could not inhabit these cities and have use of the wells and vineyards.
- They became servants of the tabernacle and temple in Israel. Specifically, they were wood cutters and water carriers.
- Because it was a covenant made before God.
- See 2 Samuel 21. Seven of Saul's descendants were hanged following King Saul's murder of some Gibeonites.
- Israel was deceived into making a covenant with the enemy, and it had to be honored. Serious covenants made before God must be honored. Have you honored a covenant that you regretted making?
- Israel had to live with the consequences of their covenant long-term. Have you made foolish covenants that have had long-term consequences? What kind of fall-out did you endure? The good news? See 1 Chronicles 12:4 and Nehemiah 3:7. And in your case, expect a working for good in spite of your mistake. See Romans 8:28.
- God will not allow you to be tempted beyond your capacity to say "No."
See 1 Corinthians 10:13. God will not allow any deceptive tactic of Satan to overtake you. In other words, you don't have to be deceived. Learn from past alliances with the world.
- "We have sworn to them by the Lord God of Israel; now therefore, we may not touch them." (Joshua 9:19)
- "Let them live, but let them be woodcutters and water carriers."
- "Why have you deceived us?' 'We were afraid for our lives because of you." (Joshua 9:22, 24)