Talks for Growing Christians
The Walls of Jericho Fall
Lesson Number 9
- Jerichos are conquered by following the ark.
- Jerichos are not conquered overnight.
- Are you an early riser like Joshua?
- What happened at Jericho?
- What confirmed the conquest of Jericho?
- The Book of Joshua is not only the inspired record of the military conquests of Canaan; it is a Christian handbook for spiritual warfare. What does this mean?
- In what realm are the spiritual blessings and the spiritual battles taking place today for the believer?
- What is the spiritual lesson of the conquering of Jericho?
- How is the ark a picture of Jesus Christ, Mediator between God and man?
- A great victory! A miracle of God. The city of Jericho was destroyed by an unusual battle plan.
- The word of God. Also, archaeologists confirmed the biblical account and the date of the conquest.
- All the tactics of the enemy in the Book of Joshua were to keep the Israelites from possessing the land. They are illustrations of the tactics Satan uses to keep God's people today from possessing the spiritual land.
- In the "heavenlies." See Ephesians 1:3 and 6:10-13.
- Jericho was a major stronghold of the enemy, blocking the whole entrance into the central part of the land. Israel could not move on and possess the land until Jericho was conquered. Thus, the Jerichos are those major blockades that Satan puts up to keep the believer today from moving on and enjoying the blessings of the land. Satan wants to keep the believer defeated and standing still in his walk with the Lord.
- The ark of the covenant was kept in the holy of holies in the tabernacle. The blood of the atoning sacrifice was put on the mercy seat of the ark to maintain the relationship between God and His people. The blood of the Lord Jesus was our atoning sacrifice, and now He sits on the right hand of God interceding for us.
- The land of Canaan was the land God promised to His children, the Israelites. It was a land flowing with milk and honey. It pictures the land of spiritual blessing that God has given to His children today, but Satan wants to keep us from enjoying the land and from moving forward in the Christian life. Have you found the battles unconquerable? Why, or why not?
Is your enjoyment of the land limited? Why, or why not?
- erichos are not conquered overnight. Identify your Jerichos, then in patient faith watch God remove them. God is greater than the strongholds in our lives.
- "Joshua rose early in the morning." (6:12) Are you an early riser like Joshua? Getting up early to have communion with the Lord is a great way to start the day.
- "See, I have given Jericho into your hand...the wall of the city will fall down flat...the Lord has given you the city." (Joshua 6:2, 5, 16)
- "Only Rahab shall live... and all who are with her in the house."
- "Joshua rose early in the morning..." (Joshua 6:12)