Talks for Growing Christians
Joshua's Farewell Address to the Israelite Leaders
Lesson Number 32
- God is faithful to His promises in the land.
- God is faithful to His warnings in the land.
- Practice the three steps of preventive maintenance for your spiritual life:
a. Obey the word of God
b. Separate from the world
c. Love the Lord your God
- In the last three chapters of the book of Joshua, there are three farewell messages:
Chapter 22 - Joshua's farewell to _____________
Chapter 23 - Joshua's farewell to ___________
Chapter 24 - Joshua's farewell to ____________
- Where was the covenant renewed?
- How long after the conquest was over did Joshua's second farewell address occur?
- At that time, the Lord had given rest, and Joshua was old. About how old?
- In Joshua 13, the Lord had told Joshua that he was old and advanced in years. How old was he then?
- What does the physical land of Joshua represent?
- What is this land called in Ephesians?
- Is this the heaven to come in the future?
- the military troops of the two and one-half tribes whose territories were on the other side of the Jordan River; the rulers and leaders of Israel; to all the people.
- At Shechem.
- Anywhere from five to twenty years.
- About 100 years old, or even 110.
- At least ninety.
- The spiritual land we enter when we become Christians.
- The "heavenlies."
- No. It is the unseen but real realm of spiritual blessings and battles now.
- As God was faithful to His promises concerning the physical land of Canaan for Israel, so he is faithful to His promises concerning the spiritual land He has given to us. See Ephesians 1:1-3. This was a continuing promise, just as Philippians 1:6. What is the evidence of God's sanctification continuing in your life?
- God gave warnings to the people in the land. The same is true today for the spiritual land that God has given us. If we do not follow faithfully, we suffer loss and ruin. What do you believe is keeping you from following fully?
- Are you practicing the three steps of preventive maintenance for your spiritual life? How diligently are you reading and obeying the word of God? Are you separated from the idolatry and evil of this world system? Do you love the Lord your God with all your heart and soul and mind?
- "You have seen everything the Lord your God has done for your sake; it was the Lord your God who fought for you." (Joshua 23:3)
- "Be very strong; be careful to obey all that is written in the Book of the Law. Avoid association with nations with other gods; do not serve or bow down to them. Hold fast to the Lord your God." (Joshua 23:6-8)
- "You know with all your heart and soul that not one of all the good promises the Lord your God gave you has failed." (Joshua 23:14)