Talks for Growing Christians
The Lord's Command to Go In and Possess the Land of Canaan
Lesson Number 1
- There is a land of spiritual blessings for the believer's enjoyment.
- There is a land of spiritual battles for the believer's victory.
- Let's follow God's prerequisites for prosperity.
- What is the dual message of the Book of Joshua?
- Joshua replaced Moses as God's leader of the people of Israel. How was he qualified for this position?
- Why were Joshua and Caleb the only two men from their generation allowed to enter the promised land?
- In Joshua 1:4, we read of the extent of the land that God promised to His people. Does Israel actually possess this land?
- What events are recorded in 1 Corinthians 10:1-11?
- Refer to 1 Corinthians 10:11. What does "example" mean? What is the message for God's people today?
- It is the inspired record of Israel's conquest of Canaan. It is also a spiritual picture of the land to be possessed by God's people today.
- Joshua was not some new, young, raw recruit. General Joshua was already experienced and battle-hardened.
- As two of the twelve spies that went in to spy out the land, they alone showed faith and courage.
- Under Solomon's reign, Israel's control extended to these boundaries, but Israel has not yet possessed all of the land God gave them. We believe that they will one day possess all the land God promised to them.
- Events which took place as Israel journeyed from Egypt to Canaan.
- "Example" is from the Greek word, "typikos." A type is an Old Testament person, place, event or other item which illustrates or pictures a New Testament truth. Thus, all the events that happened to the children of Israel from Egypt to Canaan are types or spiritual pictures for us today.
- Note the parallel between Ephesians 1:3 and Joshua 1:3. The land of spiritual blessing has been given to you as a believer. Are you experiencing the enjoyment of this land? Enter in and possess it.
- There are spiritual blessings to be enjoyed by the Christian, and there are spiritual battles to be fought by the Christian. You may suffer doubt and discouragement and temptation, but you don't have to be defeated. Have you put on the whole armor of God so you will be victorious in spiritual warfare?
- Refer to Joshua 1:5-9. Do you want to be spiritually successful and prosperous? Review and then follow God's prerequisites for prosperity.
- "Go over this Jordan...and possess the land." (Joshua 1:2)
- "I will be with you. I will not leave you nor forsake you." (Joshua 1:5)
- "Be strong and of good courage, do not be afraid, nor be dismayed, for the Lord your God is with you wherever you go." (Joshua 1:9)
- "This Book of the Law shall not depart from your mouth, but you shall meditate in it day and night, that you may observe to do according to all that is written in it. For then you will make your way prosperous, and then you will have good success." (Joshua 1:8)