Talks for Growing Christians
Caleb Claims His Special Portion of the Land
Lesson Number 23
- There are mountains to be reclaimed in the land.
- There are giants to be removed from the land.
- Let's all say, "I want to be like Caleb."
- What was to happen after the seven year conquest was over?
- Was it God's desire that the two and one-half tribes settle on the east side of the Jordan River?
- Refer to Joshua 14:1. Was Eleazar the priest in line with what God had declared in Numbers 34:16-18?
- Why did Caleb receive a special portion of the land?
- Name all those who were faithful to the Lord from the time the Israelites came out of Egypt through the wandering in the wilderness.
- The land would be possessed by the Israelites.
- No, but He allowed them to have their way. They settled for God's permissive will rather than His perfect will.
- Because out of the twelve spies Moses sent to spy on Canaan, only Joshua and Caleb gave favorable reports.
- Joshua and Caleb were the only two from that generation who trusted the Lord wholly and who entered the promised land.
- There were mountains to be claimed in the land of Canaan, and there are mountains to be claimed in the unseen world of spiritual realities. Satan and his world system have captured many truths with lies and brainwashing. Reclaim the mountains so the real truth is known. One example: the Bible teaches that man is born bad, with a sinful nature. Satan's lie is that man is born good and with enough education he can climb out of his environment. List other lies of Satan and how you can help reclaim mountains with God's truth.
- The Anakim, the giants were still in the land, but Caleb drove them out in the strength of the Lord. There are giants today, the enemy forces and forms of spiritual opposition that control certain areas of the land. For example, secular education that teaches evolution. Are you countering this lie with the truth of creationism? Are there other giants that you are driving out?
- There was no mid-life crisis for Caleb, no retirement, no jealousy. Are you a Caleb? Are you conquering mountains, regardless of your age?
- "Caleb said, 'I was forty years old when I was sent to spy out the land, and I brought back word as it was in my heart...I wholly followed the Lord my God." (Joshua 14:7-8)
- "The Lord has kept me alive these forty-five years since that time. Here I am today, eighty-five years old! I am still as strong as the day Moses sent me out. Just as my strength was then, so now is my strength for war. Now therefore, give me this mountain of which the Lord spoke in that day." (Joshua 14:10-12)
- "The land had rest from war." (Joshua 14:15)