Talks for Growing Christians
The Conquest of Canaan: Southern Campaign Completed
Lesson Number 19
- Faithful warriors let nothing escape.
- Faithful warriors return to Gilgal.
- In which order did Joshua carry out his southern, northern and central campaigns in the conquest of Canaan?
- What was Joshua's basic military strategy?
- Why did God command Joshua and the Israeli army to completely destroy all the land and the people? (Joshua 10:40)
- Where was Israel's base camp located?
- List some historical reasons for choosing this place.
- In the spiritual picture, what does Gilgal represent?
- What is spiritual circumcision?
- List some of God's miracles for His people as they journeyed from Egypt to Canaan.
- In order: central, southern, northern
- First, to divide and conquer in the central portion of Canaan (Jericho and Ai), then to deal with the five kings of the southern coalition, and finally to attack the northern coalition.
- So that they would not be influenced by the wicked Caananites. See Leviticus 18:24-30.
- In Gilgal
- Gilgal was the place where Israel had entered the land, where the reproach of Egypt had been rolled away, and where they had set up the twelve stones from the river bed. It was where they celebrated the Passover once again, and where the new generation had been circumcised.
- Gilgal represents the place of self-judgment and the place of spiritual strengthening for the believer.
- Applying the knife of God's word to the strong desires of the flesh. It is the death-to-self principle, the judgment of self in light of God's word.
- It was only by God's grace that they had been brought out of Egypt, through the wilderness and into the promised land. Some of God's miracles included the parting of the Red Sea, the manna in the wilderness, and the stopping of the Jordan River.
- Under the command of God, Joshua led faithful warriors to completely conquer the pagan opposition. We are to bring every thought into captivity to the obedience of Christ (2 Corinthians 10:4-5). Are you able to do this? Have you cast down every high thing that exalts itself against God?
- Only as we return to the base camp of Gilgal in the Christian life are we kept humble and spiritually strengthened. Remember God saved us by His grace alone. Only as we practice self-judgment we are truly humbled and enabled to go out and fight spiritual battles in His strength. Galatians 2:20 and returning to Gilgal go together, spiritually speaking. Are you crucified with Christ?
- Do you really believe that if God be for us, who can be against us? Believe it and act on it. You don't have to fear the enemy, just follow the Lord.
- "So Joshua conquered all the land: the mountain country and the South and the lowland and the wilderness slopes, and all their kings; he left none remaining but utterly destroyed all that breathed, as the Lord God of Israel had commanded." (Joshua 10:40)
- "All these kings and their land Joshua took at one time, because the Lord God of Israel fought for Israel. Then Joshua returned, and all Israel with him, to the camp at Gilgal." (Joshua 10:42-43)