Talks for Growing Christians
A Great Miracle: The Day the Sun Stood Still
Lesson Number 17
- The Lord can use natural events to help His people.
- The Lord can use supernatural events to help His people.
- Your prayers can save the day.
- Joshua was called upon to honor his peace treaty with the Gibeonites. What did they ask him to do?
- How did Joshua and the Israeli army honor the treaty?
- What natural event did the Lord use in conquering the enemy?
- What supernatural event did the Lord use during the battle?
- How did this supernatural event happen?
- Is the NASA computer report valid?
- Has this supernatural event ever happened again?
- To fight for them when five Amorite kings ganged up on them.
- They attacked the enemy at dawn after an all-night march of about twenty-five miles uphill. The surprise attack routed the enemy.
- He sent hailstones from heaven, killing many enemy troops, more than the Israeli soldiers killed with the sword.
- He caused the sun and the moon to stand still.
- We don't know. But God is God and He can do miracles.
- No. It's just a story whereby men try to help support God. But that is not necessary. God is God, and He can do miracles without our explanations or help.
- No. See Joshua 10:14
- Hailstones came down from heaven, giving victory to the children of Israel. Do you recall a natural event that God used to help you?
- The sun stood still. Can you recall a miracle that happened in your life?
- Joshua consulted God, then prayed and God answered with a miracle. Are you in the habit of consulting God, then praying, then expecting Him to answer miraculously?
- "The men of Gibeon sent to Joshua at the camp at Gilgal, saying, 'Do not forsake your servants; come up to us quickly, save us and help us, for all the kings of the Amorites who dwell in the mountains have gathered together against us." (Joshua 10:6)
- "So Joshua ascended. The Lord said to Joshua, 'Do not fear them, for I have delivered them into your hand." (Joshua 10:7-8)
- "The Lord cast down large hailstones from heaven on them...and they died. There were more who died from the hailstones than the children of Israel killed with the sword." (Joshua 10:11)
- "Then Joshua spoke to the Lord, 'Sun, stand still over Gibeon; and Moon, in the Valley of Aijalon.' So the sun stood still, and the moon stopped. And there has been no day like that, before it or after it, that the Lord heeded the voice of a man." (Joshua 10:12-14)