Talks for Growing Christians
The Pharisees Reject the Evidences and Testimony of the Healed Blind Man
Lesson Number 44
- No amount of evidence will convince the hardened skeptic.
- The religious establishment rejects the testimony of born again believers.
- Don’t be surprised if the religious world hates you.
- How did the Pharisees try to discredit and belittle the healed blind man?
- Although the Pharisees saw this miracle, they wouldn’t believe. Why?
- The religious establishment of that day rejected the man’s testimony. What about today?
- Why does the religious world hate the truth?
- Can you expect to be hated by the world, including the religious world?
- They told him to tell the truth (give God the glory). They questioned him concerning how he was healed and who healed him, they questioned his parents, they asked if he didn’t know that Jesus was a sinner, they looked for a way to explain away the miracle, they reviled him, and finally they cast him out of the synagogue.
- They were hardened skeptics. Their minds were made up regardless of the evidences and the testimony of the man.
- The same is true today. The religious establishment (many main-line churches and even some seminaries) rejects the testimony of born-again believers.
- Because the world doesn’t want the true gospel presented. People would rather believe that man is basically good and can save himself.
- Yes. They rejected the man’s testimony (John 9:28), trying to make themselves look right. They rejected Jesus Himself and crucified Him. See 1 John 3:13 and John 15:18.
- Have you had the experience of being hated by the world because of your testimony for Christ? Or by the religious world because of your testimony for Christ? Did it surprise you? Read John 15:18 and 1 John 3:13. You are in good company!
- The healed blind man was put on the spot even by his parents, but he stood firm in his testimony. Have your relatives and friends failed to support your stand for Christ? Did you stand firm?
- What does it mean to you that your eyes have been opened?
- “One thing I know; that though I was blind, now I see.” John 9:25
- “This is a marvelous thing...He has opened my eyes!” John 9:30
- “If this Man were not from God, He could do nothing.” John 9:33
- “They cast him out.” John 9:34