Talks for Growing Christians
The Reaction of the Pharisees to the Lord’s Healing of the Blind Man
Lesson Number 43
- People are divided when confronted with the miracles of Christ.
- Religious threats carry enormous power.
- You don’t have to understand the mechanics of your salvation to be saved.
- Let’s not measure spirituality by man-made standards.
- Why did John select certain sign miracles to write about in this gospel?
- How did the Pharisees react when the healed blind man was brought to them?
- Why are people divided when confronted with the miracles of Christ?
- What does it mean that religious threats carry enormous power?
- Must you understand the mechanics of salvation to be saved?
- There were many other sign miracles that he could have written about, but “These are written that you may believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God, and that believing you may have life in His name.” See John 20:30-31.
- They found fault with Jesus for breaking the Sabbath (their man-made Sabbath laws) and some denied the miracle and wanted more proof.
- Because the miracles focus attention on Jesus’ claim to be God, and people must make a decision to believe or reject Jesus’ claims.
- When the Pharisees asked the parents to explain how their son was cured, they deferred the question back to him, lest they be excommunicated. The same is true today. For an Orthodox Jew or a Muslim to become a Christian means to be cut off from family and friends.
- No, not any more than you must understand all about electricity to turn on a light. You need to know that all are sinners in need of a Savior, and by faith receive Him. Note the answer of the blind man in John 9:25, “One thing I know: that though I was blind, now I see.”
- Have you ever been pressured by others to downplay your Christian beliefs? Did you stand firm? Or did you lapse into silence?
- Are you persuaded that Jesus is deity, fully God? This is the most important decision you have to make, and it is for eternity.
- The Pharisees measured spirituality by their man-made standards. Make sure that you avoid this trap.
- “There was a division among them.” John 9:16
- “What do you say about Him because He opened your eyes?” John 9:17