Talks for Growing Christians
The Lord Jesus Claims to Be the Light of the World
Lesson Number 38
- Jesus is the Light of the world.
- The judgment of Christ is the judgment of God.
- Is Jesus the Light of your world?
- List the courts of the temple, in order of the greatest distance from the Holy of Holies.
- In which court was the Lord teaching?
- How did the Lord use situation evangelism here?
- What did the Lord mean when He said, “I am the light of the world”?
- Is the judgment of Christ the same as the judgment of God?
- How did the Pharisees try to undermine the statements of Christ?
- What are the options in believing the claims of Christ?
- The Court of the Gentiles, the Court of the Women, the Court of Israel, the Priests’ Court.
- In the Court of the Women.
- It was in this court that there were candles and lamps, so it was in this context that He said, “I am the light of the world” John 8:12.
- He meant that,
a) the world is in darkness, full of evil and sin and ignorance
b) as the light of the world, He revealed that everyone falls short of God’s standard of righteousness
c) He is the light of life, the One to follow, as the pillar of light guided the people in the wilderness, so the Lord will guide those who turn to Him
d) He is the light of the world
e) “I AM” is a claim to deity. It was a claim to be the Messiah, the Son of God.
- Yes. See John 8.16.
- They tried to dispute Him with a legal technicality, saying that He needed two witnesses to back up His claim. And they tried to undermine His authority by asking, “Where is Your Father?” John 8:19
- Either to believe Him or to say that He lied.
- Is Jesus the light of your world? Do you walk in darkness or in the light?
- If you sense a lack of purpose, you are heading in the wrong direction. Turn to the light.
- Do you have the joy of the Lord?
- “Jesus said, ‘I am the light of the world. He who follows Me shall not walk in darkness, but have the light of life.’” John 8.12