Talks for Growing Christians
The Lord Jesus Speaks About the Ministry of the Holy Spirit
Lesson Number 35
- The Holy Spirit was given at Pentecost.
- The Holy Spirit indwells every believer.
- The Holy Spirit brings continuous blessing.
- Have you done the one thing you need to do to become a Christian?
- Let’s look for situations to practice situation evangelism.
- For how many days was the Feast of Tabernacles? What did the priests do daily during this feast? Why did they do this?
- What happened on the day after the Feast ended? Why?
- How did Jesus use the action of the priests as a springboard for teaching?
- When was the Holy Spirit given?
- Who is indwelt by the Holy Spirit?
- Is everyone filled by the Holy Spirit?
- How does the Holy Spirit bring continuous blessing?
- What is relationship evangelism? What is situation evangelism?
- Seven days. They would go down to the pool of Siloam in Jerusalem and fill a golden pitcher with water, then they would bring it up to the temple area and pour it out by the altar of burnt offering. This reminded them of the way God miraculously provided water for them in the wilderness.
- They no longer brought the water, for it represented a new beginning, when Israel came into the Promised Land and God no longer had to provide water in the wilderness. On the eighth day they looked forward to the future blessing when the Messiah would come.
- Jesus used the illustration of water, even as He did with the Samaritan woman at the well. Now He spoke, “If anyone thirsts, let him come to Me and drink. He who believes in Me, as the scripture has said, out of his heart will flow rivers of living water.” John 7:37-38
- At Pentecost. See John 16:7 and Acts 2:1-2.
- The church (the body of Christ) and every individual believer
- No, not if he is not walking after the Spirit.
- In connection with the new divine life that a believer has in Christ, the Spirit can bring continuous blessing. Being submissive to the Holy Spirit in every area of the believer’s life brings continuous blessing (see Ephesians 5:8-10).
- Relationship evangelism is where you build a relationship with a person and earn the right to be heard and share Christ with him. Situation evangelism is where you take advantage of the situation you are in to witness for Christ.
- If we are filled with the Holy Spirit, the rivers of living water overflow. Do you know the abundant blessing that is available because of the Holy Spirit? Do you ever quench the Spirit?
- Discuss situation evangelism. Give an example of a time you tried it.
- Have you done the one thing you must do to become a Christian? This is found in John 7:37.
- “If anyone thirsts, let him come to Me and drink.” John 7:37
- “He who believes in Me, as the scripture has said, out of his heart will flow rivers of living water. This He spoke concerning the Holy Spirit.” John 7:38-39