Talks for Growing Christians
The Bread of Life Discourse
Lesson Number 26
- Man shall not live by bread alone.
- Only one work is necessary for salvation.
- Do we thank the Lord for our daily bread?
- Do we seek the Lord for the wrong reasons?
- After the two miracles recorded in this chapter, the Lord began to talk with the people. What did He say?
- Why did the people stay overnight?
- How did the Lord Jesus answer their question, “Rabbi, when did You come here?”
- “Man shall not live by bread alone.” Where are these words found in the Bible?
- Is the Lord saying that we should not be concerned about getting bread?
- Do we need to work for salvation?
- Jesus informed the Jews that He was the true bread from heaven. He stated emphatically that He was the bread of life.
- Because they were convinced that Jesus was still in the area, and they probably were hoping to see more miracles.
- See John 6:26-27.
- Implied in John 6:27; stated in Deuteronomy 8:3, Matthew 4:4 and Luke 4:4.
- No. In fact, 2 Thessalonians 3:10 says that if one doesn’t work, he shouldn’t eat. But He is talking about priorities. How much desire do we have for the food that endures to everlasting life?
- No, salvation is a free gift. See Ephesians 2:8-9 and Titus 3:5. The “work” necessary for salvation is faith in Christ, and the word “work” here is used in the sense of “act,” the act of faith or believing.
- Do you thank the Lord for your daily bread? In public as well as in private? Have you counted your blessings recently? Do you count them daily?
- What are your priorities concerning bread? Are you more concerned about material things or the food that endures to everlasting life? How much time do you spend on each type of bread?
- Analyze your average prayer. What percentage of it is worship and praise, and what percentage is for requests? Analyze further – what requests are for your wants and pleasures?
- “Most assuredly, I say to you, you seek Me, not because you saw the signs, but because you ate of the loaves and were filled.” John 6:26
- “Do not labor for the food which perishes, but for the food which endures to everlasting life, which the Son of Man will give you, because God the Father has set His seal on Him.” John 6:27
- Believe in Him whom He sent.” John 6:29