Talks for Growing Christians
The Account of a Great Catch of Fish, After Our Lord’s Resurrection
Lesson Number 89
- The Lord knows the location of the fish.
- The Lord has different ways of catching fish.
- Let’s accept the Lord’s invitation to come and eat breakfast with Him.
- Let’s discuss matters over coffee.
- Where was the setting for this great catch of fish?
- Why did the disciples go there from Jerusalem?
- Why did the disciples return to fishing?
- Why did Peter jump into the water when he knew the Lord was on shore?
- How did the Lord know where the fish were?
- What is the spiritual picture here?
- The Sea of Galilee, also called the Sea of Tiberias.
- They were directed there by the message of the angel. See Matthew 28:7.
- It had been their livelihood and they had normal responsibilities. It would have been the natural thing for them to do.
- For one thing, it was true to his impulsive nature. But more importantly, he wanted to see His Lord and set things right after having so recently denied Him.
- He was and is God. He is the Lord. He knows everything. He is the one who created the fish and put them in their element.
- This is what it means to become fishers of men. Success is winning souls demands that we follow the Lord’s instructions, because He knows the location of the fish and how to catch them.
- Are you fishing all night and catching nothing? Are you fishing at all? Review the Lord’s instructions, both on how to fish and where to fish. Pray for holy boldness to fish, then pray that He will direct you to the fish.
- Let’s accept the Lord’s invitation to come and eat breakfast with Him. He wants to commune with us, to serve us and to strengthen us. What better way than to have breakfast with the Lord/ How satisfying and nourishing is your Quiet Time?
- Let’s discuss matters over coffee. After the Lord had fed Peter, he brought up spiritual matters, Peter was restored during this seashore breakfast. Have you shared like this with brothers and sisters in Christ? Have you counseled someone during a meal?
- Contrast the fire of coals where Peter warmed himself in John 18:18 and John 21:9. Apply this to your life.
- “He said to them, ‘Cast the net on the right side of the boat, and you will find some.’ So they cast, and now they were not able to draw it in because of the multitude of fish.” John 21:5-6
“…when Simon Peter heard that it was the Lord, he put on his outer garment…and plunged into the sea.” John 21:7
- “Jesus said to them, ‘Come and eat breakfast.’ Jesus came and took the bread and gave it to them, and likewise the fish.” John 21:12-13