Talks for Growing Christians
The Lord’s Post-Resurrection Appearance to His Disciples
Lesson Number 87
- Because of the resurrection of Christ, believers have a peace which cannot fail.
- Because of the resurrection of Christ, believers have a mission which cannot fail.
- Aren’t you glad that Jesus is the same yesterday, today and forever?
- Why were the disciples meeting behind closed doors after the crucifixion?
- How did Jesus come to the disciples at this time?
- What is the greatest factor of a resurrected body for us?
- In John 20:20, why did Jesus show His disciples His hands and His side?
- What was Jesus’ first word to His disciples?
- What is the mission which cannot fail? Why can’t it fail?
- Because of their association with Jesus. They were afraid of the Jewish authorities.
- He “appeared.” This is a capability of a resurrected body, unlimited by gravity or walls or other limitations of this time-space universe.
- The resurrected body is not limited by sin.
- To prove that it was really Him, the same Jesus who had died on the cross.
- The mission of the believer to go and tell others about the risen, living Christ. See John 20:21. It cannot fail because of Jesus’ words. See John 20:23. Another reason that the mission cannot fail is that believers have the enabling power of the Holy Spirit.
- Do you have peace with God? This peace is available to everyone because Jesus died on the cross for the sins of the world. See Colossians 1:20.
- Do you have the peace of God? This peace is available to every believer. It is the peace of mind to the restless soul. Note that the disciples’ fear disappeared when Jesus appeared.
- See Hebrews 13:8. Aren’t you glad that Jesus is the same yesterday, today and forever? As the Lord Jesus was with His disciples, so is He with us – patient, encouraging and strengthening.
- “Jesus came and stood in their midst, and said to them, ‘Peace be with you.’” John 20:19
- “When He had said this, He showed them His hands and His side. Then the disciples were glad when they saw the Lord.” John 20:20
- “Jesus said to them again, ‘Peace to you! As the Father has sent Me, I also send you.’” John 20:21