Talks for Growing Christians
The Call of Two More Disciples
Lesson Number 9
- Jesus had the attribute of omnipresence.
- Jesus is the bridge between heaven and earth.
- When in doubt, check it out.
- In this passage, who were the disciples that Jesus called?
- What is the significance of being from Bethsaida?
- Can anything good come out of Nazareth?” What does this mean?
- List the three big “O” attributes of the Lord.
- Consider doctrinal point #2, “Jesus is the bridge between heaven and earth.” Cite an example of this in the Old Testament and in the New Testament.
- Philip and Nathanael
- Philip was from Bethsaida, the city of Andrew and Peter. Bethsaida was a town on the north end of Galilee, not far from where the Jordan River enters the Sea of Galilee. It was one of the three cities of the Galilee area condemned by our Lord for rejecting Him after seeing so many miracles.
- Most likely, Nathanael was referring to the reputation of Nazareth. Perhaps it was because there was a Roman military garrison there.
- Omnipotence (all powerful), omniscience (all knowing) and omnipresence (everywhere at the same time). Jesus, as fully God, possessed all of these attributes. However, at times Jesus voluntarily gave up the use of some of His attributes, as pre-determined in the counsels of the Godhead. For example, the material body of Jesus was only in one place at one time, but the eternal Son of God retained this attribute when He became incarnate.
- In Genesis 28:10-17, God was working as a bridge in Jacob’s life, as shown in his dream. In the present lesson, the Lord tells Nathanael that he will see the angels of God descending upon man from heaven. In 1 Timothy 2:5, we see Jesus as the one mediator between God and man.
- What does Jesus, as the one mediator between heaven and earth, between God and you, mean to you personally? Is Jesus your bridge to heaven?
- How have you realized the “O” attributes of the Lord in your life?
- Review the way the lives were changed in the disciples who followed Jesus. How did the call of Jesus to follow Him affect your life?
- “Follow Me.” John 1:43
- “We have found Him.” John 1:45
- “You shall see heaven open…”John 1:51