Talks for Growing Christians
The Ministry of John the Baptist
Lesson Number 3
- The goal of witnessing is evangelism.
- Christ is God’s standard of perfection for everyone.
- You don’t have to do miracles or have a lot of charisma to be a good witness.
- Who was John the Baptist? What was his ministry?
- Was John’s baptism the same as Christian baptism?
- Contrast John the Baptist and the Lord Jesus.
- What are the sub-themes of John’s gospel?
- What is God’s standard of perfection for everyone?
- Does a believer have to do miracles or have a lot of charisma to be a good witness?
- He was a forerunner, a herald of the Messiah. His mission was predicted more than 400 years before in Malachi 3:1. His ministry was to baptize people who were preparing themselves for the coming of the Messiah.
- No. John’s was a baptism unto repentance. The Jewish people were saying by this baptism, “I repent of my personal sins,” “I repent of my part in the nation’s sins,” “I am prepared for the coming Messiah,” and “I am ready for the Messiah to set up His kingdom.”
- John was a man, Jesus was God; John came into being, Jesus always was in existence; John was a witness to the Light, Jesus was the Light.
- Life and Light
- esus Christ is God’s standard of perfection. When Jesus came as the Light, He exposed our imperfections, showing that all fall short of the glory of God.
- No. John did no miracles, nor did he have charisma. Yet Jesus called him a great prophet. He was humble, and that’s what a believer should be to be an effective witness for Christ.
- If people respond to the Life and Light of Christ, they will have divine and new life. How does this impact your life? What is your responsibility to those within your sphere?
- Are you a good citizen? Are you a good neighbor? Is that enough? What does it take to bring someone to the point of decision for Christ?
- Think through your response to someone who is basing his salvation on the fact that he goes to church, lives a good life, and does what he can for others.
- “There was a man sent from God, whose name was John. This man came for a witness, to bear witness of the Light, that all through him might believe. He was not that Light, but was sent to bear witness of that Light. That was the true Light which gives light to every man coming into the world.” John 1:6-9