Talks for Growing Christians
The Crucifixion of Our Lord
Lesson Number 82
- It is significant that the gruesome details of the crucifixion are not mentioned.
- It is significant that Roman soldiers fulfilled the prophecy of Psalm 22.
- It is significant that Jesus did not address Mary as “mother.”
- We have a responsibility to care for our aging parents.
- What is the difference between Golgotha and Calvary?
- Why was an inscription written on a cross? In what languages was it written?
- Who were the four women standing near the cross?
- Why didn’t John mention the gruesome details of the crucifixion?
- Other than the physical pain of crucifixion, what did Jesus suffer on the cross?
- Which prophetic Scripture was fulfilled when the soldiers cast lots for Jesus’ garment?
- Why can’t skeptics refute such prophecies?
- Golgotha is the Hebrew word for the place of the crucifixion. Calvary is the Latin translation. It is also known as the “Place of the Skull.”
- To indicate the crime for which the person was being crucified. In Hebrew, the native language of the Jewish people; in Latin, the official language of Rome; and in Greek, the common written communication at that time.
- Mary, the mother of Jesus; Mary’s sister (probably Salome); Mary, the wife of Cleopas; and Mary Magdalene (the woman healed of demonic possession).
- Because the focus of John’s gospel is not on the physical pain, but the purpose of the crucifixion.
- The wrath of God against sin when He died as our substitute.
- Psalm 22:18.
- Because they prove the supernatural character of the Bible. This prophecy was written by King David about 1,000 years before the time of the crucifixion.
- We are told that folks in their middle adult years are in the “sandwich” age. This means that they have concerns about caring for their children and their parents. Is this true in the lives of folks you know?
- Which is your emphasis – the physical pain Jesus suffered on the cross, or the spiritual victory He gained?
- Jesus was concerned about the care of His mother. How concerned are you about the care of your parents? How do you show concern and love?
- “He, bearing His cross, went out to a place called the Place of the Skull, Golgotha, where they crucified Him…” John 19:17-18
- “Pilate wrote a title and put it on the cross. And the writing was: JESUS OF NAZARETH, THE KING OF THE JEWS.” John 19:19
- “Jesus saw His mother, and the disciple whom He loved standing by. He said to His mother, ‘Woman, behold your son!’ The He said to the disciple, ‘Behold your mother!’” John 19:26-27