Talks for Growing Christians
The Continuation of the Lord’s Civil Trial
Lesson Number 81
- Pilate did not realize the profound truth of his statement, “Behold the Man!”
- Pilate did not realize the profound truth of his statement, “Behold your King!”
- Don’t play politics with the truth.
- How was Roman flogging done?
- How were Jewish beatings done?
- Our Lord wore a crown of thorns that we might wear a ______ __ ______.
- How many times did Pilate declare Christ as innocent?
- When the Jews saw that they could not get the Lord crucified for being a threat to Rome, what did they do?
- Pilate wanted to release Jesus, but he didn’t. Why?
- Did Pilate realize the truth of his statement, “Behold the man!” Did Pilate realize the truth of his statement, “Behold your king!”
- It was carried out with leather strips with pieces of metal or bones imbedded in the ends of the thongs. Men were known to have died after being scourged.
- Jewish beatings were limited to 39 stripes.
- crown of glory
- They reverted to the religious charge of blasphemy, according to Jewish law.
- He was afraid of his position from Rome and his popularity with the Jews.
- No. But Jesus was the perfect Man. No. But Jesus was not only the King of the Jews, but the King of kings, King of the Universe.
- If you had been part of the crowd when Pilate asked what he should do with Jesus, what do you think you might have said?
- Pilate played politics with the truth. Have you ever been guilty of playing politics with the truth? Of putting your agenda before Christ?
- Pilate failed to realize the truth of his statements. How do you realize these truths?
- “They said, ‘Hail, King of the Jews!’ And they struck Him with their hands.” John 19:3
- “You take Him and crucify Him, for I find no fault in Him.” John 19:6
- “Jesus answered, ‘You could have no power at all against Me unless it had been given you from above. Therefore the one who delivered Me to you has the greater sin.’” John 19:11