Talks for Growing Christians
The Rest of the Lord’s High Priestly Prayer
Lesson Number 77
- The Lord’s prayer is for the protection of His own.
- The Lord’s prayer is for the sanctification of His own.
- The Lord’s prayer is for the unity of His own.
- The Lord’s prayer is for the joy of His own.
- Are we walking “in” but not “of” the razor’s edge?
- Why did the Lord pray this prayer out loud?
- What kind of prayer was this?
- What does Hebrews 7:25 say to us today?
- What kind of petitions are made in this prayer?
- “Keep them from evil.” What does this mean?
- What does “sanctify” mean? How is a believer sanctified? Did the Lord need to be sanctified?
- Does unity mean uniformity? Why is unity so important?
- So the disciples would hear and be encouraged and have the Lord’s joy fulfilled in themselves.
- An intercessory prayer on behalf of others
- Christ always lives to make intercession for us.
- Petitions for spiritual blessings, not earthly honors or material blessings
- That believers would be kept, preserved, and protected from the evil world system and the one behind the world system.
- Sanctify means to be set apart for holy use. A believer is sanctified by the truth embodied in the word of God. No, Jesus as referring to His going to the cross, voluntarily setting Himself apart for the holy work of becoming the sacrifice for sin. (That was accomplished so it would be possible for us to be sanctified.)
- No. All the believers around the world are one, which took place at Pentecost. But it is our job to recognize and keep this unity. See Ephesians 4:3. Unity is important that the world might believe that the Father sent the Son, and that believers are one in the Father and the Son.
- Are you encouraged by the Lord’s prayers on our behalf? Do you realize that He is praying continually for you? His does this affect you?
- Do you use this prayer as a pattern when you pray for others? Try it.
- Are you walking the razor’s edge – “in” the world, but not “of” the world? How do you keep this balance in your life?
- “Holy Father, keep through Your name those whom You have given Me, that they may be one as We are.” John 17:11
- “I do not pray that You should take them out of the world, but that You should keep them from the evil one.” John 17:15
- “Sanctify them by Your truth. Your word is truth.” John 17:17