Talks for Growing Christians
The Absolute Necessity for Us to Love One Another & We have been Chosen and Appointed to Bear Fruit
Lesson Number 71
- The Lord’s command to believers is very emphatic.
- The Lord’s call for believers is very endearing.
- The Lord’s choice of believers if very encouraging.
- Don’t pray for what is not promised.
- Do know 1 John 3:16.
- Why did Jesus emphasize that He had chosen His disciples, rather than the other way around?
- Do Christians have an option to respond to John 15:12, 17?
- To what extent should we follow John 15:12, 17?
- How is the Lord’s call for believers endearing?
- How is the Lord’s choice of believers encouraging?
- What is the fruit of sanctification? What is the fruit of service?
- In the Judaism of the first century, normally the disciple chose the Rabbi or teacher that he wanted to learn from and be attached to.
- No. The command to love one another is very emphatic. See also John 13:34.
- To love to the point of dying for one another.
- He calls them friends, rather than servants. Friends share secrets, but masters do not share their plans with slaves. We are given insight into the very counsels of God. See Ephesians 1:9.
- God made the first move. It is encouraging that the Lord chooses us to bear fruit, and He gave the promise that the fruit is preserved forever.
- Sanctification – the fruit of the Spirit (see Galatians 5:22-23). Service – the fruit of evangelism, winning souls.
- Jesus said, “…whatever you ask the Father in My name He may give you.” Does this give us a blank check to ask whatever we want and to expect the answer we want? What does it mean to ask in the name of the Lord Jesus?
- “…I call you friends.” Do a Bible search on Old Testament characters that are called friends by God.
- The Lord chose you. John 15:16. How does this encourage you? What does it mean as far as your life is concerned?
- “This is My commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you.” John 15:12
- “Greater love has no one than this, than to lay down one’s life for his friends.” John 15:13
- “You did not choose Me, but I chose you and appointed you that you should go and bear fruit, and that your fruit should remain, that whatever you ask the Father in My name He may give you.” John 15:16