Talks for Growing Christians
The Conclusion of Our Lord’s Public Ministry
Lesson Number 60
- To believe in Jesus is to believe in God.
- To see Jesus is to see God.
- To reject the words of Jesus is to reject God.
- Our decision now counts forever.
- What is distinct about this section?
- Does this passage contradict John 1:18?
- How do you harmonize John 12:47 and 12:48, concerning judging and not judging the world?
- Is it really true that our decision to accept or reject Christ is for all eternity? Why wouldn’t a loving God give us a second chance?
- It is the conclusion and a summary of the Lord’s public ministry, and it consists entirely of the words of Jesus.
- No one has seen God, but He is seen in Jesus in essence and in moral character. See John 1:14 and Colossians 1:15, 19.
- The purpose of Jesus coming into this world was not to judge, but to save. The result of His coming will be judgment upon those who refuse salvation. See John 3:17-18.
- Yes. The Lord Jesus said that the way a person responds to His word now determines his status forever. John 12:48. A loving God has given us the opportunity to receive His Son, and in receiving Him have eternal life. No second chance is needed, nor would it be received if the first is refused. God’s love was great enough to give His Son.
- Review this portion of Scripture carefully and meditatively. Do you believe in Jesus? Then you believe in God. Do you see God in Jesus?
- Consider carefully the doctrine of eternal life. What would it mean to exist in hell forever? What would it mean to be with Jesus in heaven forever?
- The way a person responds to the words of Christ determines his status forever. What an awesome thought! Doesn’t this prompt you to witness to the unsaved?
- “I have come as a light into the world, that whoever believes in Me should not abide in darkness.” John 12:46
- “He who rejects Me, and does not receive My words, has that which judges him – the word that I have spoken will judge him in the last day.” John 12:48
- “I know that the Father’s command is everlasting life. Therefore, whatever I speak, just as the Father has told Me, so I speak.” John 12:50