Talks for Growing Christians
God the Father Commends His Son and the Lord Predicts His Crucifixion
Lesson Number 58
- The cross is the basis of God’s judgment of this world.
- The cross is the basis of God’s victory over Satan.
- The cross is the basis of God’s salvation of sinners.
- Do we recognize God’s voice when we hear it?
- Was the Lord troubled because He was afraid to die?
- How was this prayer similar to the Lord’s prayer in Gethsemane?
- When was the voice of the Father heard during the Lord Jesus’ ministry?
- Explain, “The cross is the basis of God’s judgment of this world.”
- Is Satan’s defeat a sure thing? What is his final destiny?
- Jesus said, “If I am lifted up, I will draw all people to Myself” John 12:32. Does this mean that everyone who hears the gospel will be saved?
- No. He was troubled at the prospect of going to the cross, of being the sin-bearer, separated from the Father. The Lord Jesus experienced the wrath of God against sin as He suffered and died on the cross for us.
- There was sorrow, but at the same time Jesus desired to do God’s will. See John 12:27-28; Matthew 26:38-39; Mark 14:32-36; and Luke 22:41-44.
- At His baptism (Matthew 3:17); at His transfiguration (Matthew 17:5); and when He prayed aloud before the crowds in Jerusalem after His triumphal entry (John 12:28).
- The world system and the world of people who have rejected Christ are now under the judgment of God. In crucifying Christ, the world would condemn itself.
- Yes. See Genesis 3:15 and Hebrews 2:14-15. The cross is the basis of God’s victory over Satan. Satan’s final destiny is the lake of fire, hell. See Revelation 20:10.
- No, that would contradict other Scriptures. It means that because of the work of Christ on the cross, the gospel will go out to all people, to all tribes and nations. Many will reject Christ, but there will be people saved from all kingdoms and tribes on the earth.
- Ponder the cross as the basis of God’s judgment of this world. Evil is rampant in this world, but it will be judged in God’s time. In the meantime, unbelievers, who are part of this world system, are under the judgment of God, and it is only a matter of time until this sentence is carried out. What are you doing about these unbelievers?
- Ponder the cross as the basis of God’s victory over Satan. Are you putting on the whole armor of God that you may stand against Satan?
- Ponder the cross as the basis of God’s salvation to sinners. How does this affect you personally? Are you living life in Christ? The abundant life He promised to believers?
- When God’s voice was heard from heaven, some gave it a naturalistic explanation, saying it was thunder. Do you recognize God’s voice when He speaks? Are you listening for His voice?
- “‘Now My soul is troubled, and what shall I say? Father, save me from this hour? But for this purpose I came to this hour. Father, glorify Your name.’ Then a voice came from heaven, saying, ‘I have both glorified it and will glorify it again.’” John 12:27-28
- “Now is the judgment of this world; now the ruler of this world will be cast out.” John 12:31