Talks for Growing Christians
A Strong Argument for the Eternal Security of the Believer
Lesson Number 49
- Those who are not sheep do not believe, because they are not sheep.
- The eternal security of sheep lies in the strength of the Shepherd and not in the weakness of the sheep.
- The Father and the Son are distinct persons of the one true God.
- Do you have the Good Hands life insurance policy?
- When and where did the Feast of Dedication take place?
- When was the Feast of the Tabernacles?
- What did the Feast of Dedication celebrate?
- Why was Jesus on Solomon’s porch?
- What did Jesus tell the unbelieving Jews in John 10:26?
- Of what else is this verse an indication?
- Where does the security of the sheep lie?
- What does Jesus mean, “I and My Father are one” John 10:30?
- Are there three Gods, God the Father, God the Son, and God the Holy Spirit?
- In Jerusalem in the winter
- In the fall of the year, so the Feast of Dedication was about two months later.
- The cleansing of the temple, which took place in the Second Century B.C., in the time of the Macabees. It is also known as the Feast of Lights, or Hanukkah. This, by the way, is the only place in the Bible where this feast is mentioned.
- This part of Herod’s Temple was where people gathered to listen to religious discussions.
- Jesus said that He had told them plainly that He was the Christ, but that they wouldn’t believe Him because they were not of His fold.
- Of the sovereignty of God calling a person to salvation. The Bible also teaches that a person is responsible to come to God for salvation.
- In the strength of the shepherd, not in the weakness of the sheep. Once you are Christ’s sheep, you are in His flock forever. Note John 10:27-29. No person can take you out of His hands.
- He means that He and the Father were one in mind, in purpose, in action and in power. Jesus was claiming one in essence and nature with God.
- No. There are three distinct persons of the one true God. God is one in essence, but three in persons.
- Are you fully persuaded of the doctrine of eternal security? Review the verses, John 10:28-29; Colossians 3:3; and Romans 8:38-39. Could you discuss this doctrine convincingly with a doubting believer?
- This passage shows the sovereignty of God in calling a person to salvation. We’re saved because God chose us. The Bible also teaches that a person is responsible to come to God for salvation. God sovereignly chooses us, but at the same time we have the responsibility to choose God. Although these truths may be difficult to harmonize in our finite comprehension, they are not contradictory! Are you willing to hold these two truths in tension?
- “My sheep hear My voice, and I know them, and they follow Me. And I give them eternal life, and they shall never perish; neither shall anyone snatch them out of My hand.” John 10:27-28
- “I and My Father are one.” John 10:30