Talks for Growing Christians
Another Division among the Jews Because of the Sayings of Christ
Lesson Number 48
- If Jesus was not more than a good man, He was a bad man or a madman.
- Let’s lose our logic advantage.
- This is the third time in John’s gospel that we read of a division. Can you identify these passages and tell why there is a division?
- Explain the liar, lunatic, or Lord argument.
- What is the evidence to refute the liar argument?
- What is the evidence to refute the lunatic argument?
- What is the evidence to back up the Lord’s claim to deity?
- For which of these things did the Jews pick up stones to stone Jesus?
- ohn 7:40-43, because of the person of Christ; John 9:16, because of the works (miracles) of Christ; and John 10:19, because of the words of Christ.
- If Jesus claimed to be God, but He wasn’t God, He can’t be a good man or a great human leader. If He claimed to be God and knew that claim was false, then He was a liar. If, on the other hand, He claimed to be God and didn’t know it was a false claim, then He was beside Himself, insane, deluded, a lunatic. The record is clear that Jesus is not a liar, nor is He deluded. A person has only three options at that point – he believes that Jesus is Lord, or a liar, or a lunatic. The logical conclusion is that Jesus is Lord.
- The record of Jesus of Nazareth shows Him to be anything but a liar.
- The record of Jesus is anything but one who is deluded or demon-possessed. Insane people are not balanced or concerned for others.
- The evidence is overwhelming that Jesus made the claim to deity. Not only biblical evidence, but extra-biblical evidence as well. The gospel of John is full of statements claiming Jesus’ deity: John 14:8-11; John 8:56-59; John 10:30-33.
- For blasphemy, for claiming that He was God.
- How well would you do in the liar, lunatic or Lord argument? Do you know scripture well enough to show that Jesus is who He claimed to be?
- How well could you use the logic argument with unbelievers?
- “There was a division again among the Jews because of these sayings.” John 10:19