Talks for Growing Christians
The Lord Is Both the Shepherd of the Sheep and the Door of the Sheep
Lesson Number 46
- Christ is the Shepherd of the sheep.
- Christ is the Door of the sheep.
- Have you heard the True Shepherd’s voice?
- Have you found the True Shepherd’s pasture?
- What is the connection between Chapter 9 and Chapter 10?
- Discuss the role of a first century shepherd.
- What do the following represent: a) the true shepherd, b) the sheepfold, c) the door, d) the doorkeeper, and e) the true sheep?
- In this figurative discourse, what was the purpose of the true shepherd?
- How is Christ the door of the sheep?
- The Pharisees fell into the category of the false shepherds, thieves and robbers, who led the people astray.
- A sheepfold was a walled enclosure made of stones. Several flocks of sheep were kept in the sheepfold, and when a legitimate shepherd came to get his flock, the doorkeeper or watchman of the fold would let the shepherd pass into the fold. The shepherd would call the sheep, and the sheep, who knew his voice, would come to him, and he would lead his flock out to pasture. When they were away from the sheepfold, the shepherd would stay out all night with his flock, finding some kind of shelter in the pasture area, and he himself would act as the door, so that no wild animal could get by him.
- a) Christ
b) the nation of Israel under the Law
c) the right way for the Messiah, the true shepherd to come in line with Old Testament prophecies
d) John the Baptist, who prepared the way for the Messiah and opened the door when the true shepherd arrived
e) the disciples and other true believers in the nation Israel
- For Christ (the true shepherd) to lead His sheep (true believers) out of the sheepfold (out of Judaism and the Mosaic law).
- Christ alone is the door in the pasture area, the door to food for the soul. He is the door to spiritual life and to the abundant life. He is the only door. See Matthew 7:13-14.
- Within this generation, can you identify some sheep who listened to the wrong voice, the voice of a false shepherd, and were led to their destruction? There are some who are following false shepherds now. How would you try to make them see that they are in danger, and not following the true shepherd?
- What do you need to do to find soul food?
- Have you heard the true Shepherd’s voice? Jesus Christ is the true Shepherd and His voice is always in perfect line with Scripture. If you say, “the Lord told me this” or “the Lord told me that” and this message contradicts Scripture, you need to confirm that you are only listening to the true Shepherd’s voice.
- “The sheep hear his voice; and he calls his own sheep by name and leads them out…when he brings out his own sheep, he goes before them; and the sheep follow him, for they know his voice.” John 10:3-4
- “Jesus said, ‘Most assuredly, I say to you, I am the door of the sheep…I am the door. If anyone enters by Me, he will be saved, and will go in and out and find pasture.” John 10:7, 9
- “Jesus said, ‘I have come that they may have life, and that they may have it more abundantly.’” John 10:10