Talks for Growing Christians
The Birth of Isaiah’s Second Son
Lesson Number 10
- The Lord is a sanctuary and a stone of stumbling.
- The Word is a standard and a means of testing.
- Don’t play around with the occult!
- Why is the birth of Isaiah’s son recorded here?
- What does the name Maher-Shalal-Hash-Baz mean? Why was the child given this name?
- Describe how the Lord is either a sanctuary or a stone of stumbling to each individual. What New Testament passage quotes Isaiah 8:14?
- What will happen to those who do not use the Word of God as their standard (verses 21-22)?
- List some modern practices that could be defined as “occult.”
- This predicted child was born as a sign to King Ahaz of Judah that the threat of the coalition forces of Syria and Israel would be eliminated. The mother and son were also typical of the virgin Mary and her son, Jesus.
- It means “Swift is the booty, speedy is the prey.” This was to be a comforting sign of God’s presence to Judah because it meant that the threat of Syria and Israel would soon be gone when the Assyrians conquered them.
- He is a sanctuary to those who fear Him, but a stone of stumbling to those who turn away from His offer of salvation. See 1 Peter 2:6-8.
- They will look to their sources of authority and find no help or relief. They will be sent into eternal darkness because they rejected the light of God’s Word (see also 2 Peter 2:17).
- Horoscope, ouiji boards, eastern mysticism, astrology, “white magic,” hypnotism, or any kind of altered conscious state
- In Isaiah 8:8 the Lord declares that the waters of the Assyrian army would reach to the neck of Judah, but not overcome the head. Review the story of Sennacherib’s invasion of Judah and siege upon Jerusalem. How did the Lord supernaturally intervene at this time (Isaiah 37)?
- God’s Word was the standard and means of testing in Isaiah’s day and it is the same today. How can you practically apply this truth in your own life?
- Have you been tempted to play around with the occult? God gives a severe warning against these practices. Guard yourself and warn your children and grandchildren.
- “Call his name Maher-Shalal-Hash-Baz; for before the child shall have knowledge to cry ‘My father’ and ‘My mother,’ the riches of Damascus and the spoil of Samaria will be taken away before the king of Assyria.” Isaiah 8:3-4
- “He will be as a sanctuary, but a stone of stumbling and a rock of offense to both the houses of Israel.” Isaiah 8:14