Talks for Growing Christians
God’s Supremacy and Judgment over Babylon
Lesson Number 38
- The Lord carries His people from conception to old age.
- The Lord judges the instruments He uses to discipline His people.
- Don’t be stubborn-hearted!
- Don’t get hooked on the daily horoscope!
- Review how Isaiah 46-47 fit into the overall context of the book.
- Was Babylon the major world power when Isaiah wrote these chapters?
- Who were Bel and Nebo (46:1)?
- What is remarkable about Isaiah 46:11?
- If God chose the Babylonian Empire to discipline His people, why would He then punish His instruments of judgment?
- Isaiah 1-39 emphasizes denunciation from God because of Israel’s sin. Isaiah 40-66 emphasizes the consolation or comfort of God. Chapters 40-48 bring comfort to God’s people by emphasizing the greatness of God- His greatness as Creator and His greatness as the Protector and Provider for His people. Here in chapters 46-47, God’s greatness is seen in His sovereignty over Babylon, the enemy of His people.
- No, the Assyrians were in power. The Babylonian Empire was only on the horizon at that time.
- These were the two chief gods of the Babylonians. Bel, also known as Marduke, was the father of Nebo. He was the hero of Eruma Elish, the Babylonian account of creation.
- This prophecy speaks of Cyrus the Persian, who would conquer Babylon and deliver God’s people. If the Babylonian Empire was just on the horizon, we could say the Persian Empire was not even a glimmer 150 years before these events took place. A remarkable prophecy!
- Isaiah predicts in 47:6-7 that Babylon would go too far in her discipline of Israel. In her pride she showed no mercy to the Jewish people.
- Did you come to know the Lord as a child or later in life? Either way, can you give a testimony of how God has carried you from conception to old age?
- Can you think of a time when you saw God use ungodly people to discipline His children on a personal level? God does use this method at times. But be assured those ungodly instruments will be held accountable and judged for their wicked deeds.
- Have you considered astrology, such as the horoscope, as harmless entertainment? Be aware. This playing with fire can be ensnaring, and a doorway to further connections with the world of the occult.
- “Listen to Me, O house of Jacob, and all the remnant of the house of Israel, who have been upheld by Me from birth, who have been carried from the womb: even to your old age, I am He, and even to gray hairs I will carry you! I have made, and I will bear; even I will carry, and will deliver you.” Isaiah 46:3-4
- “And I will place salvation in Zion, for Israel My glory.” Isaiah 46:13
- “I was angry with My people; I have profaned My inheritance, and given them into your hand. You showed them no mercy.” Isaiah 47:6