Talks for Growing Christians
The Greatness of God is Emphasized
Lesson Number 31
- God is great in the deliverance of His people.
- God is great in the creation of His world.
- Make Isaiah 40:31 a pattern for your life.
- What are the two main divisions of the book of Isaiah?
- What is the basis of God’s consolation?
- Explain the historical background of verse 4.
- Which verses in this chapter allow for the fact that the earth is spherical?
- How can Isaiah 40:31 be used as a pattern for your life?
- Chapters 1-39 emphasize denunciation from God; God’s judgment pronounced upon Israel and Judah, the foreign nations, and the whole earth. Chapters 40-66 emphasize consolation from God.
- Consolation because of God’s greatness: chapters 40-48
Consolation because of God’s Servant: chapters 49-57
Consolation because of God’s program: chapters 58-66
- The idea of leveling the hills and filling up the valleys comes from the work of road building. This work would be done to prepare a nice, level road for the expected arrival of the king.
- verses 21-22
- This verse encourages you to wait on the Lord for strength in every stage of life:
Young people need strength to soar up like an eagle
Middle-aged people need strength to run and not grow weary
In your golden years you need strength to walk and not faint.
- Isaiah 40:3-5 was written in reference to the Lord going before His people as they returned from captivity in Babylon. Discuss how John the Baptist applied these verses in the New Testament.
- Isaiah 40 describes the greatness of God’s majestic creation. Then it encourages people to see past the creation to the great Creator. Discuss why many people refuse to take this logical step. Compare this to Romans 1:20.
- “Who has measured the waters in the hollow of His hand, measured heaven with a span?” Isaiah 40:12 The span of your hand is the distance between your outstretched thumb and little finger. God can measure the heavens with the span of His hand. As great as God’s creation is, He is so much greater.
- “The grass withers, the flower fades, but the word of our God stands forever.” Isaiah 40:8
“Lift up your eyes on high, and see who has created these things.” Isaiah 40:26
- “Have you not known? Have you not heard? The everlasting God, the LORD, the Creator of the ends of the earth, neither faints nor is weary. His understanding is unsearchable.” Isaiah 40:28