Talks for Growing Christians
The Lord Directs Hosea to Take Gomer Back as His Wife
Lesson Number 4
- The present status of Israel is predicted in Hosea 3:4.
- The future salvation of Israel is predicted in Hosea 3:5.
- Don’t spiritualize Israel to the Church.
- Why did God direct Hosea to take back Gomer as his wife?
- What is the theme of the book of Hosea?
- This theme is seen in Hosea’s prophecies. How else is it seen here?
- What fact shows how low Gomer had sunk morally?
- What is the significance of “raisin cakes” in Hosea 3:1?
- To illustrate God’s redeeming love for Israel.
- God’s Redeeming Love.
- In the life of Hosea.
- It cost Hosea only 1.5 homers of barley and 15 shekels of silver to buy Gomer back from the prostitute slave market. That was only half the price of a female slave, and barley was not worth much.
- Raisin cakes were offerings made to the foreign gods.
- The present status of Israel, as predicted in Hosea 3:4 is that there is no king, no priesthood and no idolatry. There has been no idolatry in Israel since the Babylonian captivity. There has been no sacrifice or priesthood in Israel since 70 A.D. There has been no king in Israel since Christ was rejected as king. God has been dealing with Israel in disciplinary love throughout this time. Through the centuries, all the hard times that the Jewish people have experienced is part of this process.
- Israel is now returning to her land, and she is a nation once again. However, what we see today is only the beginning of what will take place in the future. Although there are Christian Jews today, the nation has not yet turned back to the Lord as it will in the future. Not only will Israel turn back to the love of the one true God of their fathers, but they will turn to their Messiah, the One they once rejected. What a great time it will be when Israel turns to the Lord.
Consider your state before the Lord. Have you turned to the Lord and trusted the Jesus Christ for salvation? “Now is the accepted time; now is the day of salvation” (2 Corinthians 6:2) Let the future prediction of Israel’s salvation motivate you to make sure of your personal salvation now.
- Israel is not the Church of the Old Testament. The Church began at Pentecost, and the Church in the New Testament is not some kind of New Israel. Keep the Church and Israel distinct, or you will have interpretation problems. The promises and prophecies concerning the return of Israel and the blessings to come will be fulfilled. These prophetic promises were made with Israel and will be fulfilled with Israel.
- Having made the distinction between Israel and the Church concerning specific prophesies to Israel, many of God’s promised blessings can be applied and extended to the Church. Just be sure that you rightly divide the word of truth. See 2 Timothy 2:15
- “The Lord said to me, 'Go again, love a woman who is committing adultery, just like the love of the Lord for the children of Israel, who look to other gods and love the raisin cakes of the pagans.'” Hosea 3:1
- “I bought her for myself and said, 'You shall stay with me and not play the harlot.'” Hosea 3:2-3
- “…the children of Israel shall abide many days without king or prince, without sacrifice or sacred pillar. ” Hosea 3:4
- “Afterward the children of Israel shall return and seek the Lord their God and David their king. They shall fear the Lord and His goodness in the latter days.” Hosea 3:5