Talks for Growing Christians
The Lord Directs Hosea to an Unusual Marriage
Lesson Number 1
- Israel turned away from God’s love in the past.
- Israel will turn back to God’s love in the future.
- Where are you in reference to God’s love?
- Hosea is the first of the Minor Prophets in our Bibles. Can you name the twelve Minor Prophets?
- Can you name the four Major Prophets?
- Were the Minor Prophets less spiritual than the Major Prophets? What is meant by a “Minor Prophet”?
- Where was Hosea’s ministry primarily directed?
- What is another name for Israel? Why was it called this?
- Why would the Lord ask Hosea to take a wife of harlotry?
- Hosea, Joel, Amos, Obadiah, Jonah, Micah, Nahum, Habakkuk, Zephaniah, Haggai, Zechariah, Malachi.
- Isaiah, Jeremiah, Ezekiel, Daniel.
- No, they were not less spiritual. The distinction has to do with the size of their books. The Minor Prophets are shorter books than the Major Prophets.
- To the Northern Kingdom of Israel.
- Ephraim, because it was the largest and most prominent tribe in the Northern Kingdom.
- God asked this of Hosea to give an object lesson to His people Israel. Hosea’s marriage to Gomer is an illustration of God’s marriage to His people Israel. As Gomer turned away from Hosea’s love and committed physical adultery, so Israel turned away from God’s love and committed spiritual adultery by getting involved with gods of foreign nations.
- Read Hosea 1:3-9. Under God’s direction, Hosea named all three children. Review the names of the three children and discuss their meaning in light of the overall illustration of the relationship between God and His people Israel.
- Read Hosea 1:10-11. In a coming day, Israel will turn back to the Lord. What are some signs that we see today as a foretaste of what is to come?
- Do you know God’s love? Or have you turned away from God’s love? Where are you right now in reference to God’s love? Read and meditate on Romans 5:8 to understand God’s demonstration of love for you.
- “ The Lord said to Hosea, 'Go take yourself a wife of harlotry…for the land has committed great harlotry by departing from the Lord'” Hosea 1:2
- “Call his name Jezreel…call her name Lo-Ruhamah…call his name Lo-Ammi. ” Hosea 1:4-9
- “In the place where it was said to them, 'You are not My people, there it shall be said to them, You are sons of the living God.'” Hosea 1:10