Talks for Growing Christians
The Subject of Christ’s Superior Priesthood Continues
Lesson Number 15
- Christ’s Priesthood is superior because He ministers in a better sanctuary.
- Christ’s Priesthood is superior because He mediates a better covenant.
- Remember the illustration of the car keys.
- Read Hebrews 8: What is the point that the writer is making here?
- Is the Priesthood of Jesus Christ valid even though it doesn't follow in the line of the Aaronic priesthood?
- Read Hebrews 8: What is the purpose of the earthly tabernacle of the Old Testament?
- The shadows have gone and the substance has come. To what does this refer?
- The Aaronic priesthood of the Old Testament dealt with the first covenant. What is the first covenant?
- Read Matthew 26:28. What is the basis for the New Covenant?
- The Lord Jesus Christ is our great High Priest Who is seated at the right hand of the throne of the Majesty in heaven. This is the central theme of the epistle to the Hebrews.
- Yes. The Priesthood of Christ is not only valid, but also superior to Aaron’s priesthood. The Priesthood of Christ follows after the Melchizedek priesthood. It is universal in scope and eternal in time.
- It served as a type or picture of the true sanctuary in heaven.
- The shadow refers to the Old Testament earthly sanctuary; the substance refers to the heavenly sanctuary of the heavens. That is, the Lord Jesus Christ is now literally in the true and better heavenly sanctuary, where He is seated at the right hand of the Father and ministering as our High Priest.
- The first covenant is the Law.
- The blood of Jesus Christ.
- There is rich ministry to be found in the patterns and articles of the tabernacle. Consider this a worthy study as you view it in light of the heavenly sanctuary. Observe the substance from the shadows.
- Hebrews 8:8-12 is a lengthy quote from Jeremiah 31:31-34, where the New Covenant was predicted. The New Covenant would be made with Israel, not the Church. In Romans 11:25-26, we read that in the future there will be a spiritual revival of the Jewish people. Israel has only temporarily been set aside from the place of spiritual blessing while the Gospel goes out to the Gentile world and the Church is completed. The Church is not the new Israel, and scripture should not be spiritualized to such a point. However, the blessings of the New Covenant have been extended to the Church.
- List the blessings available to Christians in relation to the New Covenant which was made to Israel.
- “We have a High Priest, Who is seated at the right hand of the throne of the Majesty in the heavens, a Minister of the sanctuary and of the true tabernacle which the Lord erected, and not man.” -Hebrews 8:1-2
- “If that first covenant had been faultless, then no place would have been sought for a second.” -Hebrews 8:7
- “‘Behold, the days are coming,’ says the Lord, ‘when I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel’” -Hebrews 8:8