Talks for Growing Christians
The Priesthood of Christ is Superior to Any Former Priesthood
Lesson Number 14
- Christ’s Priesthood is superior because it replaced an imperfect priesthood.
- Christ’s Priesthood is superior because it established a perfect priesthood.
- Let’s practice the lost art of meditation.
- What is required for there to be a relationship between God and man?
- In the Old Testament there was a priesthood, but it was imperfect. Who replaced this imperfect priesthood?
- Which Old Testament priest had a better order of priesthood than the priesthood of Aaron?
- List the four ways in which Christ’s Priesthood is superior because it replaced an imperfect priesthood.
- List the six ways in which Christ’s Priesthood is superior because it established a perfect priesthood
- There must be a priesthood, someone to mediate between a holy God and sinful man.
- Jesus Christ replaced an imperfect priesthood, and has established a perfect and eternal Priesthood.
- a. God changed it
b. it failed to give a person true access to God
c. the priest died and could not continue
d. the high priests were weak and sinful themselves
- a. it has replaced the old order forever
b. Christ’s priesthood allows us to draw near to God
c. it has been established forever with the oath of God
d. Jesus lives forever
e. the High Priest Jesus was and is sinless
f. Jesus is God Himself
- Review Hebrews 7:18-19. Under the Law only a priest could go into the tabernacle or temple, and only the high priest could go into the Holy of Holies, and that only once a year. On the other hand, Christ’s Priesthood draws us near to God. The veil has been torn. The way into God’s presence has been opened and all believers can go into the Holy of Holies. Remember Hebrewss 4:1 Are you thankful for this access to a holy God? Are you coming daily to the throne of grace?
- Let’s practice the lost art of mediation. Do not confuse this with the Eastern type of meditation, but practice meditating on the word of God. In our busy, frantic day and age, we don’t spend enough time meditating on scripture. Before you read each day, ask the Lord to give you guidance for the day based on the reading of His word. Keep these verses and thoughts in mind throughout the day, taking time to see how they apply to opportunitites and situations as they come on you through the day.
- “…the law made nothing perfect; on the other hand, there is the bringing in of a better hope, through which we draw near to God.” -Hebrews 7:19
- “…He is able to save to the uttermost those who come to God through Him, since He always lives to make intercession for them.” -Hebrews 7:25
- “For such a High Priest was fitting for us, who is holy, harmless, undefiled, separate from sinners, and has become higher than the heavens: who does not need daily, as those high priests, to offer up sacrifices first for His own sins and then for the people’s, for this He did once for all when He offered up Himself.” -Hebrews 7:26-27