Talks for Growing Christians
The High Priesthood of Jesus Christ
Lesson Number 13
- Melchizadek’s priesthood is typical of Christ’s Priesthood.
- Melchizadek’s priesthood is superior to Aaron’s priesthood.
- Are you at least tithing?
- What is the central theme of the epistle to the Hebrews?
- What were the qualifications of a priest under the Mosaic Law?
- What tribe was Jesus from?
- Who was Melchizadek?
- Describe the circumstances when Melchizadek met Abraham.
- What is the present name for the City of Salem?
- The Priesthood of Christ.
- A Priest had to be called of God and chosen from among men. He had to be from the tribe of Levi and in the line of Aaron.
- The tribe of Judah.
- He was a priest of the Most High God. Melchizadek’s name means “righteousness”. He was the king of Salem, which means “peace”. So he was a king of righteousness and peace.
- Lot and his family had been taken captive along with the rest of the people of Sodom by an invading force from Mesopotamia. Abraham and his small army of servants went out to rescue Lot and the other captives. When Abraham returned, Melchizadek met him and encouraged him. See Genesis 14:18-20.
- Melchizadek was a type of Christ concerning the priesthood. Review the four ways that Melchizadek prefigures Christ:
a. Abraham paid tithes to Melchizadek (under the Law, the people paid tithes to support the priests and Levites, but Abraham paid tithes to Melchizadek. Aaron, the priests, and the rest of the Levites all descended from Abraham)
b. Melchizadek blessed Abraham (not the other way around)
c. the Levites were mortal men
d. the Levites paid tithes to Melchizedek (as being descendents in the loins of Abraham; see Hebrews 7:5, 10)
How do these ways show that the Melchizadekian priesthood is superior?
- Tithing is a biblical principle, taught beyond the Mosaic Law. The New Testament Christian is not required to tithe, but is to give proportionately as the Lord provides. Are you giving at least a tenth of your income to the Lord’s work?
- “Melchizedek, king of Salem, priest of the Most High God, met Abraham and blessed him, to whom Abraham gave a tenth part of all…” -Hebrews 7:1-2
- “Melchizedek was ‘king of righteousness’ and king of Salem, meaning ‘king of peace.’” -Hebrews 7:2
- “Even Levi, who receives tithes, paid tithes through Abraham, so to speak…” -Hebrews 7:9