Talks for Growing Christians
Motivating Factors that Should Cause the Christian to Persevere
Lesson Number 9
- Believers have the word of God to convict them of their spiritual condition.
- Believers have a High Priest to help them in their spiritual condition.
- In time of need, look in the right direction.
- When does a person begin eternal life?
- Refer to Hebrews 4:12-1 Name the motivating factors that should cause the Christian to persevere in the faith.
- Is the Bible just another religious book, albeit a great one?
- Read Hebrews 4:1 How is the word of God like a surgeon’s knife?
- Who knows the true intent of your heart?
- What is the importance of a steady diet of the word of God?
- What is the function of a high priest?
- Describe the function of the high priest of the Old Testament. How is this like the believers’ High Priest?
- When he becomes a Christian, by trusting in the finished work of Christ for salvation.
- The word of God and the high priestly ministry of Christ.
- The Bible is not just another religious book. It is the word of God, and it is powerful.
- The word of God, as a surgeon’s knife, will cut your open to expose your true heart. It pierces even to the division of the soul and spirit and joints and marrow in full exposure.
- God alone knows. Others can’t know, and sometimes even you don’t know.
- It is not only food for the soul, but it convicts a person of his spiritual condition. You can’t hide your spiritual condition from God. See Hebrews 4:13.
- To mediate between God and man.
- The high priest passed through the inner veil of the tabernacle into the Holy of Holies and into the very presence of God. The Lord Jesus Christ passed through the heavens into the dwelling place of God.
- Discuss the significance of our high priest being called “Jesus”(His human name) and “the Son of God“. Our mediator is both God and man. As man He can sympathize with our struggles. As God He can do something about them.
- Re-read Hebrews 4:14-1 Jesus, both fully God and man, can empathize with your weakness. The Lord knows what it feels like to be tired and hungry, lonely and broken-hearted, rejected and forsaken; and He knows what it’s like to be tempted. Trust Him for His high priestly ministry to you.
- Re-read Hebrews 4:1 Are you presenting yourself to the knife of God’s word? Is God speaking to your heart about your spiritual condition? Let the word of God convict you.
- “For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing even to the division of soul and spirit, and of joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.” -Hebrews 4:12-13
- “…for we do not have a High Priest who cannot sympathize with our weaknesses, but was in all points tempted as we are, yet without sin.” -Hebrews 4:15
- “Let us therefore come boldly to the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy and find grace to help in time of need.” -Hebrews 4:16